Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I hate the Hemi!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by alf4444, Mar 31, 2005.

1. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

My truck got hit last week so I had to get a rental and because of the BS the guy who hit me's insurance was putting me through I requested a truck as a rental :D that way it cost em $55 a day hoping they would speed up the process. So I go to enterprise and they are peeling the stickers off a brand new '05 dodge 1/2 ton crew cab with a Hemi :blush: so I figure cool I burn the tires off it for a couple weeks. Well I've gone through $40 in gas in a week which used to last me 3 weeks in my 97 GMC Its fast and all, but not much faster than mine, which is fun but I'm barely getting 11 mpg (It has a avg MPG guage) feathering the gas if I play it only gets 8 :mad:

2. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

sucks for you... you have to drive an 05 345 hp hemi... bummer. LOL

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

a gut at my work has an 04 ram 1500 with a BARE BONES work package. its not a hemi, but he is getting 12mpg to 15mpg with the 5 speed and 3.73's. my 04.5 ram 3500 with cummings gets better than that. i get 20 on the freway at 65 and i get abour 18 to 20 in town if im nice to it... that just doesnt happen.

one thing ya have to do now and then is hit the reset button on the overhead console. it might make the mpg reading go up a bit.
    Grant

4. wforicv

wforicv 1/2 ton status

I have an '04 Hemi 4X4 and get 14-15 MPG in town and 18 or 19 on the highway. Bone stock, not even a K&N filter. Of course your foot does play a big part in the MPG. 345HP in 4Lo is awesome!

5. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

The guy I work for got in an accident and had the insurance pay for a rental truck. He got a new hemi ram. His truck is a 99 superduty dually diesel. Both of us thought the hemi was worthless. His truck had much better power, handling, and mileage. People would even stop us in parking lots and ask us how we liked it. Acceleration and top speed was the only thing it really had going for it. If you ask me, I just think Dodge really wanted to start a hype about these things so they could sell a whole lot. Just my opinion though.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

agreed... the 426 owns all, but the new hemi is hype. I think its a great engine for a rig like a Dodge Magnum... and I'd totally buy a PT Cruiser with one if they ever offered it... but for a big heavy fullsize rig I dont think its "all that". The 600 Cummins definitely would have been a better choice for the Power Wagon...

j

7. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

not really... the 426 was a lot of hype too... there are rwhp tests showing it only put down 330 hp...

8. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I don't know about that, my father had a 68 Ply GTX with the 426 Himi and it sure felt like way more then 330hp. Well, come too think of it, it wasn't stock, but not too much really, just the 6-pak, a mild cam, and headers.

10. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

Why would he put a 6 pack on a motor that came with 2 fours?

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

That's the what it had when he bought it.

12. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

330 rear wheel hp...

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

6 packs are cool ? :dunno:

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Have you ever actually ridden in something that has 330 RWHP? I don't trust any manufacturer numbers for any year. Also I believe the 426 came out before they listed in SAE specs. So they were listing a motor with no accessories dragging on it. Its fun to say the 426 only made 330RWHP, but find a 454SS of the same year and dyno it, see what you say afterwards.

You also have to consider the dyno, the conditions, the people running the dyno, the tune of the vehicle, and a whole lot of other stuff. Was it fresh rebuild or did it have 40K HARD miles on it? My buddy has a Chevelle with a 383 in it. The car runs high 10s. He had it Dynoed and it said he was puting about 200 RWHP down. BULL!! Dyno was tuned horribly. A pickup truck went on it and it said the truck was running 150 RWHP. Later the truck came back and smacked down 400!

I agree the new Hemi is hype, and overall the whole Hemi thing is a bit of hype in my book. But at teh sametime, my Dad is lucky if he gets 13mpg out of his 04 2500HD and his 02 F250 was lucky to get 11. Modern gas trucks suck on gas. I really thought we were suppossed to be moving forward on this stuff? My 97 2500 got 17 MPG when I first bought it.(2 O2 senors are bad and have gotten 10 since)

15. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

simple fact: small block and big block trucks get crappy mileage. always have, always will.

i don't understand why people think a truck 350/454/whatever will get good mileage. it won't, just accept it.

16. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

There is a big difference between RWH and dyno HP. The 426 actually made more power than Chrysler claimed. They picked an rpm (5000 I think) and used that HP rating for advertising purposes. According to what I have read and heard, the 426 made close to 500 dyno horses, but at a higher rpm. Either way, considering the technology, it was a butt kicking motor, especially when they wwent to a hydraulic cam and lightened the valve spring pressure so it would make it through the warranty period.

17. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

In the days of the 426 the OE's had some unique ways of rating HP. They could skew them high or low depending on what they wanted/needed for advertising or insurance purposes.
    Take the 375HP 396 in Chevelles and the 425HP 396 in Vettes. A friend of mine who was really into that sort of thing told me that both had the same cam p/n, both had the same piston p/n, and both had the same head p/n. How could that be? Easy, the Vette rating was at a different RPM than the Chevelle rating. May have also NOT had any accessories attached to the Vette engine while the Chevelle engine did.

Since then the SAE has come out with a std. protocol that every OE uses.

18. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

lol, thats pretty funny. To each their own I guess, I think the 426 was the best engine ever put in a normal passanger car. However many ponies it had stock, it was capable of MAD power with some mods.

j

19. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Most of the car manufacturers had ways of making it seem like it was a high hp beast like running it with no belts or something like that... then when the insurance companies would call them up they would detune it to pretty much fall all over itself so the insurance wasn't too high.

I'm not saying 330 rwhp is weak... I'm saying for all the hype of the 426 hemi its not that much. I'm sure they could have squeezed alot more out of it with some more mods but this was a completly stock '71 cuda... I'm sure the tq numbers were pretty far up the chart. 330rwhp=375-400hp at the flywheel.

I'd take a Ls6 chevelle any day tho.

20. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

no hype about a 426 hemi, they put down mad power to the ground. I have personally seen a original hemi car that had a bigger mopar performance cam and headers getting tuned on a dyno put down close to 600 rwp....it was at 579 when i left, and they were still messing with jets and timing. The street engines were bassically detuned race engines. For you triva and racing buffs, The 426 was designed to kick ass in NASCAR, which it did. This caused the racing body to make a rule change requiring manufacturers to race a production engine....doubt it if you want.

an LS6? brainwashed by brand loyalty

Back to the topic at hand, your right the new dodge trucks dont get good mileage. I have a friend with the 360 magnum in a durango and he gets around 12 mpg.....about the same i get in my k2500 with a 350 vortec. wish i had more power.