Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I hate this....**UPDATED WITH PICTURES!!**

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87BrnRsd, May 15, 2006.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Im in the middle of installing an edelbrock performer tbi intake on my 87 tbi 350 K5, and I just want to be done!!! I gotta be finished with the intake and various other little things by the end of the week so I can go wheeling...and I just wish I had a magic wand I could wave over the intake to finish it. Im doing it all by myself with no help and its a pain in the butt. Oh well....enough ranting....im gonna go finish hopefully....as long as I can remember where everything goes back:doah:
    BTW- When I get done, it will be the first time I have run the truck in almost a month. I cant wait to feel what kind of power difference the intake and new headers (last weeks install) have made!!!!
    -Harrison

Last edited: May 25, 2006
  2. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Tell me about it. Except mine has been down for 2 years, and it has issues beyond just an intake being off :(

3. CB77GMC

CB77GMC 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Been there YES it sucks. Just keep eye on details.

4. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

carry on my wayword son, therel peace when you are done, lay your werry head to rest, dont you cry no more da da da dodanna na na nnaa sorry that song just poped into my head. but seriously just keep truckin and when your done(provided you dont mess up on somthing and have to redo it...been there) it will be awsome!

5. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

I know how it is too! Its been 1.5years and i thought i was done the other day. Drove it around a bit, went to show my friend that it drove, got to the end of his street and my clutch goes to the floor, then my clutch started screaming at me!!!! It was screeching loud as hell, i just got it towed home today. We think the throwout bearing moved out of place, dunno till i take it apart.

6. AllamericanK5

AllamericanK5 1/2 ton status

I know how you feel. Cant compare to the guys who have been working on theres for years. It always seems it never ends. You finish one thing on the list in your head and you think your almost done. Then you make one on paper :eek1: why dose the list always get longer. It very unmotivating. The nice weather and that dirt bike dosent help either lol. Well I guess what im getting at in around about way is keep it up. You will get there just think of that sweet sound of 6 mile a gallon as stomp on it and hear thouse four barels open :D :D . Have fun.

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

no offense, but if an intake install is kicking your butt, what are you going to do when it comes time for real work on the truck? :dunno:

8. CB77GMC

Done yet :confused: :D

9. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

What kind of response is that??? I never said its kicking my butt, I only said I wish I could wave a magic wand over it and not have to worry about it. Between working a lot, having no help whatsoever, and autozone giving me the wrong gaskets, its kind of a pita but not kicking my butt. Think before you post something like that, most people on here do all the work to their trucks themselves, me included. I have installed a motor into my truck, swapped axles, installed lockers, the lift, and everything else that has ever been done since I bought the truck bone stock. I have also put 3 engines in my brothers truck, tranny, t-case, axles.....:rolleyes: So...what is this real work your talking about???:rolleyes:
    -Harrison

10. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Hopefully today I will be. I have had very little time to work on it since its been raining when Ive tried to work on it, and I am also working A LOT at my job. It would have been done yesterday, but autozone gave me the wrong gaskets.:rolleyes: Should have it finished tonight, as well as an oil change, and some re-routing of wires around the headers for uwharrie this weekend. After that, all I have to do is take the hubs off my brothers truck, install one from the one I broke at dpg, and pack the other as a spare. Oh, and gathering up all my spare parts and tools and loading them up.:D
    -Harrison

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

no need to get your panties in a bunch man! its just swapping an intake manifold, which is a pretty easy job. from your initial post, you sound frustrated, very similar to the way a first time wrench does. just going by that, i assumed that you were in fact frustrated with it. i too am a pretty experience wrench, i've only been doing it 16 years or so. :whistle:

the real work is setting up the suspension, doing one off mods, fabrication, etc. intake manifolds are childs play.

12. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey don't make the same mistake I did! Make sure you put alot of RTV between the block and manifold! Because I didn't and it just makes me :mad: that oil keeps leaking everywhere.

As soon as you hear the first initial fire from the engine you know it will be worth it at that point. Good luck! :laugh:

13. CB77GMC

Yea Autozone can be fun like that use there website to lookup what you need and go there with a part #. Then you know what you are getting:D

14. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Ok, so I went back to autozone to get the right gasket and return mine. Well, I lost the reciept, so I knew it was going to be a pita, but then again im in there almost every day and most of the people know me by name so I figured it would work. Well, the store manager (a jerk) keeps on insisting that I didnt buy that particular gasket there because they dont stock that brand. Even after repeatedly telling him that I did, he refused to believe me. He then said that it WAS the correct gasket for an 87, and my engine must not be an 87 (which im 100% certain that it is). Anyways...he wouldnt return my gasket, and wouldnt even look up a different gasket for an 87, since he insisted it was an 85 for some reason.:rolleyes:

Long story short...I dug around for a few minutes at the house and found the reciept. I took it back up there, along with the gasket, put it on the counter, and said "I thought you didnt stock this gasket." He still insisted that they didnt:rolleyes: but finally gave me a refund because I had the reciept from that store as proof, and I told him that it WAS NOT the correct gasket.

He made me so mad when I was in there that I think im gonna call corporate autozone. Hes always a jerk when im in there. He thinks he knows everything, but hes one of those "if its not in the computer...we dont have it" kind of guys. Its completley beyond him that I dont know what year my rearend is when im looking for a part. Hes one of those: him-"what do you mean you dont know what year the lug stud is for? what year is your truck?" me-"my truck is an 87, but its not the same rear axle" him-"well then I cant help you" me-"just look up a lug stud for a SRW 1990 chevrolet 1 ton pickup" him-"thats not gonna work..i have to know the right year to find it in the computer" me-"whatever:rolleyes: "
    -Harrison

15. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Post up when it's running, I'm interested to know if you notice any improvement.

16. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Will do. Its gonna be from stock with cfm-tech's upgrades which I did notice a power gain from. To afterburner headers and the intake. I did both the headers and the intake at the same time (ever so close to done with that) so I cant really tell you which one will give more power....
    -Harrison

17. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My Auto Zone is just like that. They have to know what make, and, model, year for my engine. Its a gen 1 small block Chevy, the parts are rather abundant and can be from several makes, models, and years from 1955 through 1986

18. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

Even though I knew the 'zone enough that they never gave me problems, I stopped going there.
    I live in southern NH and there is an auto parts store called Derry Auto, in you guessed it, Derry NH.
    1: (And most important) Independantly owned and operated family business.
    2: Always cheaper than the 'Zone.
    3: I have an account there, so I get a further discount.
    4: Great knowledgeable service. Willingness to think outside the box knowing I have a non-stock rig.
    5: Just friendly great service.

Last week I was changing my tire carrier and asked for some studs for my truck, and they were produced in about 2 minutes. When I said the shoulder wouldn't work because I was going to set them in 1/4" stock I had studs with the perfect shoulder and threads produced in another 30 seconds.

This summer I changed my ball joints, and because I was poor bought the cheap 1 year warranties. Honestly within a year, but unable to find the receipt, I went back and needed new ones but wanted moog. Not only did they accept my word that they were under a year, (probably because I was very honest in the fact that I didn't try to exchange my stock ball joints for credit, I had only replaced 3) but they applied the cost of those ball joints towards my moog. They did the same thing for a drag link end that failed as well. I was asked once if I went off road with them, and I told them yes but nothing very extreme and that I had no idea why they had failed so fast. I had been running 31's on those, and the 35's that were on my truck when I was doing this exchanging had been on the truck for about 2 days. But now my truck is all ballanced and aligned and perfect - yay. Oh, and when I was getting new tie rod ends they got me some non-stock ones because they had a picture in the book, and I was able to tell them that I didn't have the neccissary "middle rod" and would need something different.

Last week I went in and said I wanted an external electric fuel pump on the cheap. He asked me for what app, and I said to make a power syphon and he found a pump for $50 without asking me what year I was syphoning.

I guess the lesson is this: Keep going to part stores until you find one where they know how to pull out a manual and look for a part.:D And if it's independently owned so much the better. :waytogo:

19. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

hey what headers did you use?

20. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

afterburner headers

are those like dynomax thats what i got

Last edited: May 20, 2006