Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I hate to ask stupid questions, but....

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by chevblazk5, Aug 3, 2004.

1. chevblazk5

chevblazk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just got an '85 C30 with 6.2 diesel. The motor is out of a different truck and only god knows how many miles are on this thing. The truck starts up easily with very little black smoke. I want to pull the 6.2 out for my '90 Suburban and here's what I want to know:
    What should I do to the motor before I do the swap? I was planning on changing the head gasket, swap the timing chain for gears and I already have new glow plugs from Kennedy diesel. Is there anything else that I should do? I do have a new banks turbo kit, but that's gonna have to wait as I'd like to take care of the rust before it's too late.

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would first compression test it. Then pull your injectors and have them tested, some shops will do it for free.

I would replace the vibration dampner, rear main seal, front timing cover/crank seal, oil pan gasket, valve cover gaskets, put a new high flow water pump on it from penisular diesel and I would also go with the dual thermostat crossover.

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

What does the dual-stat crossover do for the motor?

4. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It flows a lot more coolant. It is a factory upgrade in 97 that can be retrofitted back to the 6.2's. You just need to cut and rotate the outlet (t-stat cover) and reweld it and notch out the throttle bracket.

5. chevblazk5

chevblazk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I would first compression test it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the first thing I'm doing this Sunday and I'll go from there. I just found out that the motor has almost115,000 miles.