Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I hate to have to do it!!! Growl/harmonic vibration. Opinions Please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by semper-k-five, Aug 30, 2004.

1. semper-k-five

semper-k-five 1/2 ton status

I've been trying to identify the cause for weeks. But no luck. Hopefully someone has had a similar experience and fixed it before it broke.

I have this growl type vibration that is felt once i get to 60 MPH...the vibration is strongest between 60 - 70...55 it's not too bad and 70 and beyond it's not too bad. I feel the vibe in the floor board and gas peddle. I let off the throttle and it goes away. It does it in O/D and third at the speeds mentioned above.

This started after i had to use the winch to get out of a mud hole...I'm thinking i worked the tranny trying to rock out before goin to the winch...Just looking for folks opinions before i start breakin into things lookin for problems that aren't there.
    Anyone have a similar experience???

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Did you get all the mud off the truck? It can get caked into places and cause vibrations

3. semper-k-five

yeah...i spent a good hour w/ a pressure washer to make sure! it's been a couple months since it was stuck...it's been washed numerous times since...

4. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Hard to say. Have you checked all you fluids to see if you took in some water or mud in trans, t-case or axles? Maybe you have u-joint getting ready to go..check those too

5. semper-k-five

the only thing i haven't done is replace the front joints...it would be nice if that what it is!!! just doesn't feel like a vibe that would come from a ujoint...but i guess i should handle all the simple suspects before attacking the tougher ones!

6. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Had a motor mount do me that way once...

Seems that if it's speed/rotation related, acts like a Ujoint also....specially if you can drive thru it to where it don't vibe/hum anymore....

hope ya get lucky..... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. semper-k-five

well right on!! replacing the front joints is on the to-do list! You'd think i'd learn after reading mult vibe posts that always seem to end up being ujoints!~ /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Which front ujoints are you going to replace? The ujoints in the front drivetrain won't have any effect on vibration at highway speeds unless you're in 4WD at those speeds. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif If you're talking about the front ujoint in the rear driveshaft then go for it.

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Make sure the yoke on the axle hasn't loosened up.

10. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Sometimes a growl type vibe is from a wheel bearing, check both front and rear bearings. Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. semper-k-five

bearings front and rear replaced....rear driveshaft joints replaced and yolk is tight...that's why i hated to make this post....other than a tranny or tcase issue, i can't think of any other cause...the vibration feels like it's comming from the front and not the rear...

12. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

There are many possibilities...too many with what we know. Have you tried to listen for the vibration with the vehicle sitting still and holding the engine at rpms for a couple of minutes? If it is an engine issue, it might show up here. But, most likely it is drivetrain or chasis. Bearings (double check) are a common failure that make this sort of sound. If the new ones were over-torqued they could be the culprit. It takes some time to find these problems... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

13. semper-k-five

I know man...it's the hunt that won't end!!! I replaced the bearings last weekend and it made no change in the vibe....I've tried holding the RPMS around 3500-4000 and no vibe...runin through the gears at higer rpms doesn't vibe either...only when i'm at highway speeds...something about rotation at 65...I haven't checked for motor flex yet...so i haven't ruled out a bad motor mount when the drive train is being torqued to make 65mph...the worst, or best, depending how u look at it, is the vibe hasn't worstened...it just showed up one day and hasn't gotten any better or worst with all the things i've done to combat it...which also makes me think it may be the motor mount...i'm gonna check all drivetrain mounts to be safe...

14. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

You've done a bunch of work but still have the noise..........have you tried blocking the front wheels and putting the rear up on solid jackstands and running the truck at the same MPH that produces the noise? If the noise shows up you could crawl around and try to find where its coming from.

Good luck man /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. semper-k-five

i guess i could try that!!! i'd have to pull my balls out of the ole ladies purse to give that a go!!! just something about a truck spinnin at 65 in the air!!! i trust my jack stands and all!!! that kinda reminds me of the guy who went shark divin' without a cage and became din-din!!!

16. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

Have you tried to rotate your tires? If it is a bent wheel or a tire problem swaping them from the front to the back would make it feel different. You could of also lost some wheel weights and now it is out of ballance.

Edit: oh and I'd be scared to run a rig at 65 on jack stands too /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

17. semper-k-five

i wish that were it...i'm a former firestone employee and generally a tire or wheel will be felt in the seat for the rears or the steering wheel for the fronts...similar to diagnosing rotor/drum and pad/shoe trouble...bein' it's in the gas peddle and floor board, it has a high chance of being drivetrain...aint rulin' nothin' out though!!

18. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

I don't think it has been mentioned but have the tires been balance or rotated had a m1123 do similar things and we rotated the tires and it went away??! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

current 3529 Semper Fi!!

19. semper-k-five

to the folks suspecting tires/wheels, you felt this vibe in the gas peddle???

20. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

Why woulden't you feel a tire vibe in the gas pedal....its connected to the firewall witch is connected to the frame witch is connected to the axle......

Vibes in a rig are never cut and dry. Just because you felt a rear tire vibe in the seat once doesn't mean you will feel a rear tire vibe only in the seat on another car.

As far as tire vibes and ware you feel it....my wheeler vibrates everything above 65, the side mirrors look fuzzy because the vibes are so bad at that speed. But 44's on a 4500lb rig are going to do that to you. Even on my daley driver, when I put on the buckshots for hunting season the t-case shifters vibrate...that doesn't nesessaraly mean that the t-case or motor mounts are bad.