Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I hate visible smoke

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BillyBob, Apr 19, 2000.

1. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

Another thing, my truck has 107K miles on it. I took it for inspection to a private guy. I knew it was gonna fail because of not having a parking brake, and the tranny indicator didn't work (it's an auto >_<). Anyways, I come back, I knew it failed... it passed emissions, barely, but the guy also failed it for visible smoke. I figured it was just some condensation in the exaust at first, because it never left plumes or anything. Well, since I'm no mechanical genius, nor do I have any time, I decided to take it to a local mechanic who mostly does 4x4s. Anyways, the guy wouldn't touch it because of the smoke. Makes sense cuz the engine is the most important part. It's burning some oil. The guy reccomended a new engine, but the thing still has at least another 25K on it. What can I do to fix this without spending a ton of money? My friend just did an oil change on it and added some restorer along with 5 quarts of oil. But I still need some help if this doesn't work

I love my truck, even if it fails inspection every day >_<
    -"It's soo high in da sky!"

2. colorado_emt

colorado_emt Registered Member

There's this stuff at the auto parts store i think its called no smoke or something like that. It's a clear bottle with green writing on it, anyways my dad(a shop foreman for a county) swears by it to get his trucks to pass. If I think of the exact name i'll let you know.

<font color=red>Chris</font color=red>
    <font color=blue>79 K-5</font color=blue>
    [​IMG]<font color=blue>EMS RULES</font color=blue>[​IMG]

3. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

The truck hasn't stopped smoking. If you can give me the name of the product, or a name of an equivolent one, I need it soon.

4. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Had a car once that had the same problem passed emmisions fine but small amount of smoke.Just for the hell of it I used this stuff called MOTOR HONEY worked for me could give it a try.

5. Mike's85K5

Mike's85K5 Registered Member

I think the stuff Colorado_emt is talking about is called Bardahl. It is in a clear bottle with a green label. Around here I have seen it in Walmart in the auto section. I've used it in old engines and it does work great a t reducing smoke.

Mike

6. cocky

cocky Registered Member

I have a Toyota Camry that burns oil. It wouldn't pass emissions so I put the thickest synthetic oil i could find in it. Then i parked it about two or three blocks away from the emissions place and left it over night. The next day I drove it straight to get tested. The motor was cold and the oil was so thick it didn't smoke. It's kind of cheating but I didn't have the money for a new motor.

Richard
    1970 k5 Blazer
    Don't stand in front of a train naked