Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I HATE wiring

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mud390, Feb 6, 2004.

1. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

History - I tried to jump my 84 K5 off the other day and was greeted with smoke from the starter area

RANT ON - Today I pull the battery out, shearing the battery hold down bolt in the tray in the process. That set the tone for the rest of the day. Put the battery in the back of my GMC to take to the parts house to get checked and then head back to pull the starter. Bolts come out with no problem. Drop the starter and pull off all the wires and AH HA! I found where the smoke came from. So, I proceed to pull the starter all the way out to make more room and also take it to the parts house. I fooled with it for a good 30 or 45 minutes. I couldn't get it around the headers or the tranny cooler hard lines that go to the radiator. I gave up. So, I pulled out all the wires that go to the starter and find melted insulation, copper showing everywhere. What a mess. To the parts house. My battery is completely fried! I mean completely! 0.60 volts total in it. Yeah. So a new battery, wire, butt splices (thats just funny sounding), fusible link, and a positive battery cable later, I'm on my way home. Get home and get to work on splicing in all the new wire and realize that I'll never get this done before dark, I still have to get that stupid broken bolt out, I can't feel my hands, and that my truck will never be ready for tomorrow's club trail run. I flipped my truck off, collected my tools, cleaned up, slammed the hood, and came inside to get warm and call it a night. - RANT OFF

I hate wiring! Sorry for being so long, but I'm sure someone can relate! While I'm here, would you recommend splicing the alternator wiring harness, if its done correctly (butt splices and heat shrink)?

Kris

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Sounds to me like you should hate headers:

[ QUOTE ]
    I couldn't get it around the headers

[/ QUOTE ]
    They most likely baked/burned the insulation off the wires to begin with. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Yeah, the headers on this truck are a pain in the butt! I have no clue what brand they are, but they have the lovely shine of surface rust on them. Its beautiful! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I'm almost positive that the headers melted the wires. I'm just glad it didn't catch on fire! I'm trying to decide if I want to keep the 350 I have now, or buy a 454 from a guy I know for $500. All stock, but unknown condition.

Kris

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

if ya get a 454 and have headers your life will only get more difficult. I have a ministarter and it was fun getting it up there, i put a couple reg sized lifetime warranties on it, that was funnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

5. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

If you cut and splice wires I would recommend soldering them and heat shrinking. Much more lasting. Just my suggestion. I build rescue trucks for a living and I'm in the electrical department. Any wires outside the vehicle get soldered.

6. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

I love wiring, I make lots of money because of butt splice mfg.'s. Never ever use a butt splice on the outside of your truck. Always solder and heat shrink, Cybrfire, is right on the money with this idea. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif