Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I have a 14 bolt in the ass end!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by StiffRide81, Sep 17, 2002.

1. StiffRide81

StiffRide81 Registered Member

hey.. I have an 81 K10.. I post ALL the time with questions because I am not intelligent to these vehicles yet... hence all the questions... anyway...
    I have a 14 bolt rear-end in my truck... is this stock?? Because I keep hearing you guys talk to me like a should have a 10 bolt back there... ITS NOT>.. it is huge.. 14 bolt.. looks stong... just rebuilt about 2 years ago and has nice clean synthetic fluids flying around inside. Is this because I have a K10... instead of a K5.. or because my truck has the towing package on it.. or because the guy before me was a genious????
    Also, what does this mean for my transfer case... same in a k5 as in a k10??? or tow package change this at all???? I know you guys have the answers... thanks

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

What 14 FF looks like without the red ring. [​IMG]

3. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

the K10 and K5 have the same axles and t-cases and such. If your K10 has a 14ff in it, someone swapped it in.

4. StiffRide81

THEY THEY PUT IT IN!!!!!!!!!!! THAT IS SOOOOO AWESOME!!!!
    It has 14 bolts... and looks exactly like the picture... The front IS a 10 bolt though... I counted that one as well and it is MUCH smaller!! How well do these puppies hold up and do they make them for the front too, if so where do I get one?????? ( what kind of vehicle)

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> So are both axles 8 lug, or are they 6 lug, or are they mismatched? Good deal on the axle, but I'm sure you'll find something stupid that the PO did, we all have... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif </font color>

6. StiffRide81

NO, they are both 6 lug... front and back.. but I am not kidding.. it is definately a 14 bolt.. not like the 10 in the front.. not a 12 bolt either...
    It has been in the truck for at least 2 year.. .everything lines up straight and looks like it was done perfect.. doesnt make any funny noises either... all in all in great shape! I wondered why it looked so much cleaner and nicer than the front diff... /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I think you either have a 14b SF, which is still good, or you have a 14b FF that someone converted to 6 lug, which would be highly unusual. It's been done on here, but it would be odd to see one just out there randomly... Does it look like this -
    [​IMG]

or this -
    [​IMG]

8. StiffRide81

DEFINATELY THE FIRST ONE... IS this a good DIFF??? And if so, what kind of vehicles was it originally in??? But yes, definately the first one with out a doubt!

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yup, that's teh semi-floater 14 bolt, a light duty 3/4 ton axle. Still much better than a 10 bolt, and about the best axle you can easily get for 6 lug. The full floating version (the second one) is more or less teh strongest direct bolt in axle for Blazers, it came in 3/4 tons and 1 tons. </font color>

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

if you thik that little 14 bolt SF loks huge wait til you lok under any 73-80 3/4 or 1 ton truck and see a 14 bolt FF, or even look under a 47-72 3/4 or 1 ton and see the h052 or h072 10 bolt corp rear end, or even a dana 70/80 axle in later trucks.

the 14SF is only 1" larger than your front axle(8.5" vs. the 14 SF 9.5", but the the 14 FF is only 1" larger than the SF but loooks wayyyy larger)

SF 14 was used under alot of 1@ and 3/4 tons i the 80's. very common axle in 6 and 8 bolt variety both. notice the very noticeable lack of the full floating hubs on your rear axle.

good luck

11. BIG STEVE

BIG STEVE Registered Member

I put a 14sf in my 90 jimmy out of a 89 pick up after 88
    they widend the track and moved spring pads if the back is as wide as the front its a 88 or later
    90 jimmy just traded 99 5.3 silvarodo with 24 tho. miles for a 02 HD WITH A 8.1 and allison just to haul my fat dog around the one with 4 paws a tail and only barks ok maybe still not enough destinction /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

12. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

that sounds like it might hurt. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif