Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I have a 2wd... what have I done?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Apr 26, 2005.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

2. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

you can allways make it 4wd since most drivetrain parts get replaced so why not start with a 2wd. I tring to decide what to do with my 68 c10 aswell

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

68 c-10 ?

you have one ?!

please dont hurt/ruin it...! :(

if youre serious about wanting to turn it into 4x4 then you need to consider alot of things, get a hold of mudder67(randy) on 67-72chevytrucks he has a 67 thats he converted to 4x4 the right way, he took a 73-up 4x4 chassis and shortened it and put the 67 body on it
    its the only way it should be done, the wheelbases differ from 72 to 73, longer by 4.5"
    dont ruin another poor 68 by not planning ahead and getting all info and facts and parts and money first,,,

good luck :D

4. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Look closer, its not a 67-72.

5. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

nicey nice! :D :waytogo: I personally think 4x4 is overrated most of the time (save for wheeling).

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Nice. That'd make a really cool street rod.

7. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

How many trucks/vehicles do ya have now, mountain???

8. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

That has 2wd pre-runner written all over it. Fabtach makes the high angularity upper BJ spacers needed for the front to work well.

9. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

my wife would kill for that truck :D :D

10. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.................

I can just see it, 2 weeks from now Dana 60 out front.

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Not a bad looker!

I like 2wd's for their better ride and fuel mileage...but they are pretty useless in the winter here though...that truck look nice for its age!..I always liked the looks of the short stepsides!..

I knew a guy who got a truck very similar,and he already had a 4x4 K10 about the same year that was all rotted out--he cut the frames in half on both trucks and spliced them back together to make it a 4x4--it was an abortion,he should have swapped the whole frame in instead,but he was too lazy and in a big hurry--he figured by doing it that way,he'd get the motor,tranny,transfer case,and front suspension all in one shot--problem was the spring hangers were shorter on the 2wd,along with many other minor irritations--he was lucky they both had 3.08 gears,he never thought to check!

He ended up junking it--every potential buyer that saw the frame patched together ran away from it!...too bad,it was a nice truck bodywise... :crazy:

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

What the heck did he cut the frames for ?? He could have just did a body swap.

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

here's why...

Like I said,he was lazy and in a big hurry--he was driving it the same day he cut both up!--but it was far from correct,and it came back to bite him in the ass...I think the K10 was an 8 foot bed long wheelbase,and the other stepside like the one in mountainexplorer's post was a shortbox,thats one reason he cut the frames--but he's a butcher,and probably would have cut them anyway--he thought it was a quicker easier way to do it,and to his credit,it DID work,and he did it in one day--but it made a nice 2wd driver into a 4x4 rolling abortion!!... :screwy: He tried using it to plow his parking lot,but you could see the frame bow in the middle where he had bolted it and welded it back together when the plow hit the snowbanks!... :crazy:

14. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Seriously!!!

However, im with R72K5 on this one, DONT BEAT UP THE FIRST GENS!!! Thats why they make second gens.

15. mountainexplorer

I probably shouldn't have gotten it. It was a trade that I shouldn't have done, but I took it to basically give a friend a 4x4 that he's always wanted.

So, I'm just going to sell the stepside for as much as I can get for it. It has a 454 and TH400. The body is decent. Not 100% show quality, but not completely beat. Door jambs and interior need some work/paint. Has 2 header leaks. But runs good and has alot of torque.

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'd yank that 454 and drop a 350 in it. Keep the 454 for one of you fleet trucks.

17. mountainexplorer

I have enough big blocks now... actually, several are for sale now cause I need money. :blush:

18. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

my 68 needs a lot of work to even become a dd. I thought of just swaping to a 2nd gen frame but that would still reqiure a lot of work and time. I am already busy from my burb so Ill probly buy a blazer or a samuri then sell the 68 if my dad doesent want it. Back to original post swap it to 4wd or pre runner it paint it orange with a big 01 on the doors :D