Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I have a couple of questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 83L98blazer, Sep 24, 2005.

1. 83L98blazer

83L98blazer Registered Member

I just purchased a Warn Tabor 9k winch and I am in the process of building a winch mount for it, but I wanted to know was what alt./bat. combo would you recommend?

My second question is about axles, I talked to a guy today who has a set of 3.73 axles from a 73 jimmy. I am assuming this is a 44/12 set. If this set is in good condition would it be worth it considering I am currently running 33's with a 2.73 10/10 set.

Thanks

2. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

I went with an 100 amp alternator since I'll be running more lights and a winch in the future.The manufacturer of your winch will probably suggest a minimum CCA for you're battery,personally I'd go deep cycle,if not dual,if you plan on doing a lot of winching.As for the axles,bigger is better...:D

3. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

as to the axles, if you are going to go through the hassle of an axle change, why not go 3/4 ton at the same time? (requires you to address ujoint and wheel lug problems, but saves you from changing axles again) You can probably find a 44/14 combo for about the same amount as that 44/12 combo, and it will likely have 3.73s or 4.10s

4. 83L98blazer

83L98blazer Registered Member

The reason I want to stay 1/2 ton is mainly b/c a the wheels and in the future I plan on going to a 1 ton, but right now I just some better gears. From what I have read on the dana 44 it is just as strong as my 10 bolt, but I cant find much info on the 12 bolt what are the pros and cons on this rearend? And what will interchange from the dana 44 to 10 bolt and the 12 bolt to 10bolt?

5. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

the 12 bolt is considered marginally stronger by some, or the exact same POS by others... the only real advantage you would have is the deeper gears
    as far as the front, the 10 and 44 are about the same, so long as we are talking about an internal lockout style 44 (i dunno about external) , but i think you could throw the 10b outers onto the 44 knuckles without any issues. (the 10b will have "big bearing hubs" required for 8 lug conversion, and the 44 may or may not (year dependent)
    There is also an issue about the 44 being pre 75 (or 76?) it would have a "flat" passenger side knuckle (needed for high-steer, valuable) but it may have smaller ujoints in the shafts...

try reading up once you know the exact year of the 44/12 combo... so there are trade offs for the early/later years