Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i have a gov loc and want to get a real locker

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by offroad87, May 9, 2004.

1. offroad87

offroad87 Registered Member

i have a 12 bolt in my k5 i believe it has the imfamous govlock. well after reading about tim's lockrite i kinda want one since i cant afford a detroit. my question is can i install one in my stock carrier (which is some type of limited slip or govlock) or do i need to find a open carrier for my 12 bolt? if i do have to get an open carrier who has one laying around?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You need an open carrier for a lockrite, ezlocker, quic loc, gearless locker etc. Nothing made fits in a gov loc or posi case. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

My buddy Paul has one in his 12 bolt, and i was amazed as to the performance of the climbing capabilities it had after the install, it does make some noises at times, but as long as you know what the noises are to begin with, it's fine. You will definately like the locker unit, i think his was a "Quick-Loc" basically same thing, and is awsome, i will be going this route for my front diff when the money situation allows me to. Need to get this welded front diff outta there, like driving a tank now. (while off road of course)

BTW, i thought my post would have posted up before Pauls did, but yeah, you need an open carrier for it.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

They do make lock rights for other-than-open carriers, but probably not for a 12 bolt.

14 bolt time. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. offroad87

i would like to do a 14 bolt swap but i think i will hold off for awhile. or at least until i find a 60 to go with it. somebody gave me a 14 bolt but it is a semi floating and missing an axle. so pretty much i have a few 14 bolt parts. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. offroad87

breaking news: i just got my lockrite and ring&pinion gear from a buddy. he has it in his 2wd k5, he just got a detriot. all i got to go is swap it in my truck and its mine. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You'll spend more having that stuff installed in your 12 bolt than you can get a 14 bolt for.

I wheeled for years with a 14 bolt rear and a 10 bolt front. Why wait for a '60 if you don't need one?

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

HMMM, if he got the loc-rite for free, how is he going to spend more for the install? installing is so easy, it's free? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Everybody is so pressed on jumping on a 14bff. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

9. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]
    breaking news: i just got my lockrite and ring&pinion gear from a buddy. he has it in his 2wd k5, he just got a detriot. all i got to go is swap it in my truck and its mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool that you got a smokin' deal. You just go to get used to driving with a real locker. After awhile you'll know when you can get back on it coming off a corner. Just remember easy acceleration until you get used to it. Mine hardly makes much noise or banging anymore . You'll love it, and if you wheel with 33'3 or 35's it will live a long time ( the 12 bolt ). /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    HMMM, if he got the loc-rite for free, how is he going to spend more for the install? installing is so easy, it's free?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who's going to set up the gears when he swaps carriers? I know I haven't done a set yet nor have a number of members. I would say 99% or more of CK5 members don't know how to set up gears and would have to pay to have this done.

I would say get a 14 bolt full floater now, an open one with the gears you want. Weld it for now, and save for a detroit if you don't like the welded diff. You'd definitely be FAR ahead of yourself to do this than pay someone to set up an open carrier in your 12 bolt just so you can put a lock right in.

I didn't put my 14 bolt full floater in until a few months ago and I've been wheelin' for years now in this truck--but I sure didn't spend any money on the old axles, either.

11. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

OH HELL, i totally forgot about the gov-loc carrier he said he had, by bad, i was thinkin about the open carrier. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Can i get a big /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif DOH !! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

12. offroad87

we are going to swap all the internals from housing to housing. my father has been building and racing dragcars for 15 years he has all the equipment to set up a diff, he is going to help/teach me how. so i wont be out any money except for for the install kit. so everything should work out pretty good.

13. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You'll spend more having that stuff installed in your 12 bolt than you can get a 14 bolt for.

I wheeled for years with a 14 bolt rear and a 10 bolt front. Why wait for a '60 if you don't need one?

[/ QUOTE ]

How will he spend more? Go to the 14 bolt, most likely have to regear unless he finds the ratio he needs to match the front, will need wheels, will need the front 8 lug parts unless he wants to carry 2 spare tires. Overall it will be cheaper to just do the gear swap then to go to a 14 bolt.

15. offroad87

thats what im thinkin, i also have brand new wheels that i want to keep on my truck.

16. pauly383

I had to buy my locker , and the 12 bolt I found at yard with my bro. I still have less invested than buying rims , brakes (front 8 lug stuff too) , seals, gears and locating 14 bolt . I am gonna run it until I kill it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

I'm getting real close to having to make a decision on which way to go with my axles. I have a d44/12bolt combo, open 3.08's, so I'd need a spool out back and gears, an LSD up front and gears. OR I can build the Eaton I just got for super cheap with a 14bolt diff, gears and axles, and swap to 8lug stuff up front... its hard, and I don't know which one is cheaper, though I do know I'll end up with the eaton under the rear eventually.

18. pauly383

What wheeling do you do? Out here in AZ , lots of guys run those axles. Rob pounds his 12 bolt, he told me on the trail it was a long time before he broke a 12 bolt shaft , now he has bulletproof axles in the same 12 bolt. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

19. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

I aint exactly too far down the road from you guys, being in east Mesa and all, so you pretty much know the wheeling I'll be doing. I fully plan on going out with the local CK5 guys after my junk is somewhat ready to go. Good to hear the 12bolt might be the way to go, I'm kinda wary since I'm going to run 35s. I'm a little too aggressive with my right foot for my own good, and I've been breaking axles on drag and road race cars for a few years now. I'm gunna try out the rock crawling thing. I've been out with some local buddies a bunch of times, it's an absolute riot, I love it, so I bought a k5 =)