Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I have a moral dilemma

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by josh86k10, Mar 7, 2006.

1. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

I recently discovered that honesty is not always the best policy when job hunting. It seems no one wants to hire somebody, regardless of qualifications or how crappy the job is, that may only be there for six months (I moved to Knoxville in January and should start Veterinary School in August). So I started leaving that little detail out at the interviews. Well, I finally landed a job at Sears Automotive selling tires and such. Not a great job, but it'll do until vet school starts. Everybody there seems pretty cool.

Now my dilemma: I just recieved notification of my vet school interview which will be Monday March 20. I'd rather not just call in sick and screw over one of my co-workers at the last minute, so I need to go ahead and ask off. I could probably come up with some bull**** story, but I hate to lie (not telling the whole truth is different ;)). So the question, should I go on living the lie and dig in a little deeper or just tell them why I need the day off. In a perfect world I'd prefer to just come clean now that I've been there a little while and started to make friends, but I don't want to go back to job hunting either. I've only been at Sears for 2 weeks now, just long enough to complete the training. Just to put it into perspective, if it came down to it I would quit this job to go to the interview.

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If it's far enough in advance (it wouldn't be for me) ask for the day off and come up with a story. Putting in your 2 weeks notice is generally considered enough courtesy when you leave, so just make sure and notify them ahead of time when you really do leave.

3. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

tell them that you have a "personal" matter to attend to. if they ask why, say that you would rather not say.

or offer to trade shifts with someone.

or just disappear for a few hours to interview. like on a lunch break.

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I agree with the Toyota guy :wink1:, tell them you need to take care of some private personal business. It's really not their business, and if you're giving them at least enough time to cover your position for that day, there's not really much more they can ask of you. If you call in sick or make up a story, you're overcomplicating things that can bite you later.

On a related note, I know honesty is difficult, but it can be worth it. I know integrity doesn't keep your stomach full, but I feel like I've gotten more opportunities in life in part because I strive to be honest. Actually, my boss put me in control of a high level facility recently, in a position I really have very little experience in, and he said he hired me instead the handful of applicants because he knows me and trusts me. I got the job on integrity and desire to learn it, not qualifications. And now I'm on an internet message board when I'm supposed to be in full-throttle learning mode... hmm...
    Even the little things like why you're out count...

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Tell them that you need off to check out a vet school. I would never hold any kind of school prospecting against an employee. If you get accepted, tell them that you have to give a 2 week notice. Your new job would want the same from you and they should respect the fact that you are a stand up guy.

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep - personal matter. Try to trade shifts or just take 1/2 day to make it easier on them.

7. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies, keep 'em coming. Just to clarify, even if the interview goes perfect, school will not start until the fall, so I will continue to work at Sears until the start of August or so. The interview is just a very crucial part of the application process (a very long and in depth process... 763 applied, 70 will get in, even getting an interview means I'm 70% accepted though). If all goes well I should recieve an acceptance letter in early April letting me know if I will be attending UTCVM in August.

8. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

Call it personal reasons. I don't know about where you live, but around here they can't force you to devulge your reasons. Then again ... they dont have to grant you the day off either.

If you decide to B.S. them a little with a story, MAKE SURE YOU THINK IT OUT BEFORE HAND! be ready with answers.

Also, good luck with your interview.

9. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

ive worked a few retail jobs and seemed to always get the $hit end of the stick (stuck cover shifts or whatever) and it sucks but i didnt have to stay. really if you ask for it off and they say no, tell then that your taking it, they may threaten to fire you but my persoanl expierience in seeing this happen with many people i have worked with is that they wont. plain and simple. its just said to scare you to work that day. i wouldnt worry about it. tell em your taking it, if they say no, tell them its not an option. thats what id do

10. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

retail sucks, i am glad home depot as a company likes military folk, they are very flexible with me