Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I Have A Odd Question About The Strength Of The Stock Bumpers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerGuy, Dec 31, 2000.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I want to cut square holes on both sides of the bumpers(one on the right and one on the left) for a Hi-Lift Jack to be safetly inserted and not slip off. I will make the holes close to the braces. My question is will the bumper/braces hold up or will it just bend? I want a safe place to use a Hi-Lift but I dont have a flat surface to use it at.

[​IMG]

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

If you weld, maybe you could weld a piece of angle iron a few inches long above each hole for extra support.

My rear bumper was only slightly bent after I backed into a co-worker's Bronco II--her drivers door was mangled!!

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

3. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

why not fabricate brackets and use the bumper bolts to go through the brackets.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

4. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Why don't you use the HiLift attachment for the curved bumpers? Hopefully it works since I just bought one yesterday for my jack. Looks like it will solve the problem of slippage. Part #BL-250.

Smitty

5. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

Use the attachment offered by Hi-Lift. I have one with the attachment and it works fine.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5junkie.coloradok5.com/>http://k5junkie.coloradok5.com/</A>

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

It says that the hook attachment is only rated for 3000lbs so I figured that is a weak link, plus I like overkill[​IMG]

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

The Bumper Lift is designed to fit most slotted or curved bumpers, for quick and easy lifting. Bumper Lift has a 3,000 lb. capacity (1361 kg).

When used with the Hi-Lift Jack, which is not itself designed to be used on curved or tubular bumpers, the Bumper Lift makes raising one wheel of most average sized vehicles up to 2" (5 cm) above the ground an easy task. Never attempt to lift more than one wheel at a time.

<hr></blockquote>

What does it mean, when it says it makes lifting vehicles up to 2" off the ground a easy task? Does that mean it can only safetly lift the truck up 2"?

[​IMG]

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Looks like a litle C Y A on the part of Hi-Lift. Maybe they're worried that their name suggests you should lift your vehicles tire 'high' off the ground. A hi-lift will easily lift one corner of a vehicle as high as you want, however the higher you go the more unstable it becomes, which is probably why they are saying 2".
    On my Jimmy I have to chain the axle if I want the tire off the ground with my 48". Sometimes flexy can bite you on your a$$ [​IMG]
    As far as those curved bumper attachments, 3000 lbs is overkill. Even if your truck weighs 6000 lbs you're only lifting one corner at a time. That would only be 1500 lbs or so.

Rene

[​IMG]

8. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Have to agree with the CYA on the lift. The jack instructions say not to lift the tire more than 2". Doesn't matter if you're using the attachment or not.

Smitty

9. FWP

FWP CRS

Got a flat out wheelin once... on a hill... Had to put a big rock under the 48" jack, just to get "hi" enough. Very scary- not the safest thing I've ever done[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. 88MudBeast

88MudBeast Registered Member

Yeah, my bumper was fine after i riped off the bumper of an illegally parked 4 runner. Sure my bumper was fine, but somehow i ended up having to pay $375 for an accident that wasnt my fault.
    Big Jake

Its gonna be a WILD ride!