Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I have a oil pressure problem!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PsychoticDeadGuy, Nov 25, 2005.

1. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

Well, my old oil pressure guage was seized or something, it was hard to move so i replaced it and it says i have 0 oil pressure. when i turn on the ignition the little arrow moves to a little past 0 but even when its runnig it doesnt move after that. could it be my sender? where is this located?

2. wildbilzrydn

wildbilzrydn 1/2 ton status

I had an '83 K-20 w/ a "rebuilt" 400 in it, Long story short, the Ex had it while I was out of state and she told me the oil pressure gauge quit working.
    I got home the following weekend, checked the dipstick, and there was oil on it, so I changed the gauge.
    Still no reading.
    Thinking the oil pump went bad, I got under the truck to drain the oil, and there wasn't a drop in the thing, except what was on the stick I guess. :doah:
    I was using 20w-50 in it cause the oil pressure was really low w/ 10w-40 and I guess it was just clingy enough to stick to the stick and it actually probably saved me some real work rebuilding the engine.
    I put oil in it and it was as good as ever.
    If you have oil in your truck, I think the sender is behind your dizzy, if it's electrical. If it's mechanical, it's still behind the dizzy.

3. johnathon1968

johnathon1968 Registered Member

help no oil pressure

hello i just got a 1988 chevy van with a 305 engine with tbi. i need help i dont have oil pressure the oil light stays on. but goes out when you give it gas. so i thought it was the oil light so i put a mechanical oil gage on it still no oil pressure. i changed the oil still nothing.i took the oil pan off and the oil pump sreen was clean.but there was a lot of sludge in it. i took the valve covers off and lots more thick sludge theere.helpppppppppp what do i do now.thanks for your help. johnathon1968@yahoo.com
    [​IMG]

4. k5 beast

k5 beast Registered Member

I have a 1979 with a factory 400 and the sending unit is behind the distributer up against the fire wall. Kind of hard to get to,I had to remove the cruise control stuff first. My gauge also dropped so I replaced the sender and works great now. If replacing the sender doesn't work I would go get a mechanical one from autozone for $15.00 and check it before going through the trouble of replacing the oil pump.