Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I have a serious electrical prob. that's driving me nuts...(UPDATED)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BowtieGuy3, Mar 18, 2003.

1. BowtieGuy3

BowtieGuy3 Guest

I have a serious electrical prob. that\'s driving me nuts...(UPDATED)

Ok. I'm a mechanic by trade, but I have this one damn problem and it's driving me insane. For starters, I have an 89 Jimmy w/ the 350. A short time ago, I had to replace the starter. Well, once the new starter was in, everything except the lights and horn were dead (Yes, I connected the battery again). I've tried tracing out everything, and so far I can't find anything out of the ordinary, other then the temp. sensor I wiped out with the heat sheild. I mean all I did was remove 3 wires to change the starter, and connect them back up once the new one was installed. Anyone ever have something like this happen to them, or anyone have any ideas on what I might be overlooking? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

Re: I have a serious electrical prob. that\'s driving me nuts...

If the starter has the wires connected to it that have the fusible links in them, they are what supplies the power to the cab, it sounds like one of them may be broken, make sure you have power coming up from the starter in all of those wires.Don't assume because they look OK that power is going through them.

3. BowtieGuy3

BowtieGuy3 Guest

Well I ran the continuity tester on them and everything checked out fine. I'm trying to hunt down a wiring diagram of the truck to see what wire or wires link the vehicle, but no luck on that so far. Ya know, I suck at electrical stuff and that's all that seems to ever happen to me... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Boy, aren't I the lucky one?

4. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

On most of these trucks the power starts at the battery and goes to the starter and alternator, the main harness connects to one of these points and feeds the fuse box and cab, some have a junction block on the firewall. The fuse box usually has banks of fuses which are fed by common power wires, determine which fuses don't have power and see where that main harness gets it's power, see where you lose the power to the cab.

5. BlindHawk

BlindHawk Registered Member

Sounds to me like you have a plug in the harness loose someplace. I know that dosent help much, but I had something like this happen and it drove me crazy for 2 weeks. It turned out to be a plug I still have no clue as to what it does. But I pushed it back together and everything was fine. I would start looking at all the connections starting at the starter.
    Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Most GM vehicles use one fusible link for the headlights (and probably horn) and the other powers pretty much everything else.

MJ has a wiring diagram for I believe 1985 and 1990 trucks on his webshots albums, so do a search for those in this forum.

You say you have continuity, do you have voltage? All the wires from the starter to the fuse panel (two red ones, not counting the purple start wire as I recall) should have 12V all the time. If you've got 12V at the starter solenoid (where the + batt cable connects) but not at the junction block on the firewall or at the engine side firewall fuse panel connector, your fusible link or wire for it is dead. They WILL sometimes be intermittent.

The firewall connector is held in place with a 10MM-headed bolt as I recall, I've also seen poor contacts there result in a no-start condition, but checking voltage at the firewall junction block will tell you if power is even getting that far.

7. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting

This might be too simple but if your started died a bad death, do you think it might have taken out the ignition switch with it? Shouldn't be too hard to check.
    The headlights are not controled by the ignition switch.

8. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Here is the link to mj's wiring. Wires

9. BowtieGuy3

BowtieGuy3 Guest

Oh way cool!! Thanks man! those are a life saver. Now at least I can get an idea of what to eyeball. Thanks again! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. BowtieGuy3

BowtieGuy3 Guest

Re: I have a serious electrical prob. that\'s driving me nuts...(UPDATED)

Ok, so I was outside playing withj the truck since we had nice weather the past 2 days (68 on Sun, 74 Mon) and figured I'd drop the starter out again to see what's up. Well, turns out, one of the wires (yup, the fuseable link) that leads down to the thing was fried. I missed this one cuz it's buried way yup around exh/trans/FDrive..you get the idea..
    So...........
    I hit the parts store, got a replacement, got it crimped/shrinkwrapped in. And she's runnin again (finally).
    Thanks for all y'alls help on this thing, as it was truly driving me nuts!!![/]
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif