Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I have a strange idea

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by Resurrection_Joe, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

This is just an idea and I don't know if it's proper here because it is JUST an idea, but I had a wierd plan for a chain driven rear suspension thing

1. Mount a frame width 9" right behind a LWB truck cab, directly behind the transfercase with a short shaft to the centersection

2. Construct a housing for a simple chain drive about four feet long or so, mounted on the axle tube at the top end and loose on the bottom end

3. Mount a sprocket on the WMS and mount the end of the housing on the axletube so it pivots perfectly around the sprocket.

4. Mount a D44 or some such disk brake assembly on the other end on a supported sprocket running the other end of the chain. Maybe the very ends of a 14BFF

5. Spring each leg with a coilover

It's more complicated in my head, and I wanted to keep it a secret, but I'm never going to build it and someone probably already has

Anyway, if you could get the chain to hold up and keep it compact, it would have complete clearance between the tires and eliminate the rear driveshaft. I suppose the normal IFS non forced articulation problem is present, but I like the concept

So has anything like that been done? is it feasable?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

There is a simmilar picture in a mag I have . I will try to find it for you . This one guy had a setup like you describe /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah he ran his front and rear wheel on the same swingarm thing. And had a 9" in the middle somewhere driving each side swingarm. His suspension was fully hydraulic and all I can remember is pictures of the thing flopped on its side. I know I have pictures but no site right now to throw them on.

4. Resurrection_Joe

If its that hydro grasshopper thing from pirate, thats not what I'm talking about. This is just rear

5. pauly383

Its the prinicple thats appealing . each actual suspension link will have the remote output of the axle end . If someone had machine tools , they could do like a shaft drive through the tube and get rid of the chain . The idea of yours is sound though /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Cam's Chainlink is done essentially that way in the rear. The rear swingarms also enclose the chain and they rotate around the 9" axle housing. Where there would normally be a WMS or a floater drive flange on the end of the axle shafts he has a sprocket to drive each rear wheel.

In the case of the Chainlink he put the 9" in upside down, and then put a HMMV reduction box on the end of each swingarm. The next gen won't be like that though.

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

This guy's buggy is chain-driven. He even has a website, but he is an ass of the highest order; so it's no use talking to him. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[​IMG]

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Ok, I have a couple questions..

#1 - What will the truck be used for?
    #2 - Why?

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    There is a simmilar picture in a mag I have . I will try to find it for you . This one guy had a setup like you describe /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it this thing???

[​IMG]

more pics of it here:

http://www.norcalbigdawgs.net/Gallery/albums/album31

Doesn't look like it works all that well....but it certainly isn't something you see every day!

10. pauly383

Yes , can't he lower and raise it as well , for say descents and ascents to keep the body level ?

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yes , can't he lower and raise it as well , for say descents and ascents to keep the body level ?

[/ QUOTE ]
    yep, one of the first pictures I saw was it with one of the "legs" up in the air while the other 3 tires were on the ground.

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

14. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Is it this thing???

[​IMG]

more pics of it here:

http://www.norcalbigdawgs.net/Gallery/albums/album31

Doesn't look like it works all that well....but it certainly isn't something you see every day!

[/ QUOTE ]

I was there the day that pic was taken. Should have heard the crowd when they realized it wasn't broken and that LF was still under power.
    Worked awesome down at TDS there from all reports. It's not fast like the new gen of krawlers spawned by Tiny.

Achilles Heel is really tall stair steps. Rxn torque in the rear appears to unload the rear tires. Next Gen machine address' this.

[ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Wow! If that isn't my pic then someone was standing right beside me when Cam did that. I have many more if there is interest.

15. Resurrection_Joe

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok, I have a couple questions..

#1 - What will the truck be used for?
    #2 - Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. It is only really advantageous in a LWB truck and eliminates the driveshaft and centersection hangdown, encorparating all drive and suspension into one unit

2. Like above, one honkin arm for drive and suspension. no centersection to hang

16. Resurrection_Joe

That's nit exactly what I'm describing... Should I draw it out?

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah you should cause that exactly what I pictured when I read your post /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I think it is exactly what you are looking for he just did it with all 4 wheels instead of just the rear.

18. Emmettology 101

[ QUOTE ]
    1. It is only really advantageous in a LWB truck and eliminates the driveshaft and centersection hangdown, encorparating all drive and suspension into one unit

[/ QUOTE ]

You do eliminate the driveshaft and gain clearance... But I dont feel all the work an engineering you would have to go through would be worth it. I think you would be better off with 1/4 elliptics or something similar. Although I am the type who likes to keep things at little more on the simple side(K.I.S.S.). Even when I first saw that rig on POR the first question that popped into my head was "why?".... To me.. If it really worked that well, you'd see alot of others trying it.

[ QUOTE ]

2. Like above, one honkin arm for drive and suspension. no centersection to hang

[/ QUOTE ]

So one arm that incorporates the chain and suspension. So you'll have one tire in the back? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

19. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

sorry but the idea that if someone isn't doing it means it must not be worth doing is stupid. If everyone thought that way everything would be riding on leaf springs and that would be that.

20. Emmettology 101

[ QUOTE ]
    sorry but the idea that if someone isn't doing it means it must not be worth doing is stupid. If everyone thought that way everything would be riding on leaf springs and that would be that.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I guess that kind of came off the wrong way. I didn't mean it that way. I just meant that usually good ideas catch on ratehr quickly.. Look at 1/4 elliptics, buggy frames, 4 links, coilovers, moon buggies, etc..... Even the IFS thing caught on for a little while. Or maybe i just dont know how to explain myself..... But I wasn't saying that since no one else is doing it, dont do it.. To go through all that work and engineering for added ground clearance just doesn't seem worth it to me. Plus we're talking about a LWB full size pickup where the weight would play a huge factor.