Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I have a strange NP 208

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by adamforsythe, Apr 11, 2006.

1. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Ever since last night my Np208 has been kicking into 4 wheel on its own. What would be causing this? I know my linkage is screwed up becuase it kicks out of 4 low on it's own
    Thanks
    Adam

2. rlhenry

rlhenry Registered Member

Mine will kick out of 4L as well. I think under body flex the sheetmetal may be coming in contact with the shifter and kicking it out. I've lowered the transfer case and I think the rear-ward tilt has moved the shifter too close to the sheetmetal. I think I just need to get in there and do some trimming. As far as your problem, I haven't heard of one kicking into 4wd out of 2H. That's a new one on me.

3. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Well, improper linkage adjustment can cause just about any problem with shifting. You want to make sure it sits in its designated positions firmly. I would adjust it so you feel the case go into its designated positions well, and stays there.

Else, I might look at you shift fork pads. They might allow too much movement and allow the synchros to engage and drag the rest until its into gear.

If your gonna keep that case, might want to plan on a rebuild, cause your probably gonna want to tear into it anyway.

Or you can get one thats already rebuilt:whistle::whistle:

4. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Another reason for a T-case to kick out is a worn CV in the front shaft. My 77 w/ a 203 started doing that and I didn't know why. Linkage was all good. then shortly after the slop in my CV got bad enough I could feel the vibe, and the kicking out got worse.. after I rebuilt it, it was gone.

5. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Mine used to kick out of 4 hi. It was because the saggy mounts screwed up the linkage. after new mounts it works fine.

6. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Mine kicks out of 4H all the time.

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

It's trying to tell you something. It wants to go wheeling.

8. yoshisv

yoshisv 1/2 ton status

Bad motor mounts will cause them to go into 4 wheel drive on there own. Also check the tranny mount.

9. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i had one that was stuck in 4wd, but i still had nuetral and 4 low, just no 2 low. i took the tail housing off and the rear output bearing fell out, i pressed it back in and i had 2wd again.
    never heard of one poping into 4hi though. bad motor mounts could cause it

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

hmmm..

The NP208 in my 82 K20 refuses to go into 2hi--or should I say its IN 2hi,but the front wheels are still getting power applied!..(no difference between 2hi and 4hi..):confused:

I've had it 2 years now this way,I just unlock the hubs and let everything up front spin,but I'm concerned someday whatever is causing this will fubar the T-case...I've adjusted the linkage to no avail...all the other positions work normally,4lo,4hi,neutral,etc..I assume its internal,something is not disengaging,etc..

I have a spare T-case waiting in case this one decides to grenade..:crazy:

11. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

thats EXACTLY what mine did and the bearing was out of the tail housing, im guessing putting pressure on the mode selector keeping it in 4wd. i pressed the bearing back into the tailhousing and i had 2wd again.
    i like how dodge put a snapring on that bearing to keep it in place.

12. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Are you sure it is kicking into 4wd? Does the 4x4 light just come on or you actually are going into 4 wheel? Most likely if you are in 2wd then it would pop into nutral first.