Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i have a theory as to why people like rap.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by colbystephens, Nov 18, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

it's a good one too. :D

i think it's because the generation that developed it, and the generation that continued it was a fisher-price generation. most of this generation was given some ugly ass little bright colored electric piano and if you pressed a button, some stupid little beat would start playing and then you could pound away on the keys and make noise along with the beat. then the parents told the child (who smiled with pride at his musical creation) that the music was so good and nice. then the kid grew up and went to a studio and pressed a button on a keyboard, which made a beat. then he got someone who knew a few keys on the piano to come add some overtones, and then they spoke some "poetry" about some girl's ass into a microphone. it was fresh, new, and appealed to everyone who grew up being praised for their firsher-price sonatas. :haha:

some people say it was an extension of the jazz thing. i bet dizzy gelespie would turn over in his grave if he were labeled as having contributed to the construction of this cRAP. please, jazz musicians used instruments. if anything, the whole jazz thing turned into rock and roll.

i think there is some good rap out there.... somewhere.... rarely.... maybe one song.... or two. :rolleyes: hard to come by tho.

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

six minutes Dougy Fresh yer on....

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I listen to some rap,because my Father never hugged me when I was a child.It was also really hard growing up in Fremont,CA. :p:

4. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I like Rap....

Grand Master Flash

and that's about it.

5. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I think rap came about cause disco sucked that bad...........

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I know I'm an old bastard, but I can still admit that a lot of rappers out there are lyrical geniuses. Rap in general might not be my cup of tea, but as a musician I can appreciate the amount of studio work that goes into producing a rap album.

7. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

They have rap in Canada? :eek1:

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Old school stuff was ok and was kinda funny at times. I think the raw "gangster" style rap is what gave the whole thing a bad name. I remember back in high school there were rappers like Run DMC and they didn't need to use foul language or other trashy gimmicks to sell records.

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Could be said for everything I have/ still/ will always listen to...

10. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

First of all, just so we're clear here, I'm a metalhead at heart. Rap is not my music of choice, but I can't ignore that certain artists are good at what they do. For every crappy rapper, there is a crappy rock band.

Anyhow, back on topic. I'm not defending the whole "gangsta rap" thing, but you guys are ignoring the fact that it is popular because a percentage of listeners can truly associate with the content because they live it first hand. Granted, the majority of listeners are suburban wanna-be bad boys.......

There are a few rap artists that I like, for different reasons. Public Enemy weren't afraid to tell their people to quit playing the victim. NWA weren't afraid to tell it like it is from the eyes of a guy from Compton. Eminem isn't afraid to speak his mind in general(and a lot of what he says is true). The guys from Outkast are geniuses, literally. Ludacris is damn funny. Busta Rhymes has a knack for working off-tempo, and his style spawned an entire genre of rap within itself.

That being said, I can't stand 50 Cent's mumbling, and there are plenty of rappers out there who are more "image" than substance. Just like half the country artists out there. But that is a completely different topic, isn't it???:crazy:

11. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

i used to listen to it alot when i was slightly younger, but things have changed so much with it, just a bunch of whining to me now, and it really just doesn't do anything for me. I DO however still love the bass some of it has, i am a big bass fan, the two 15's in the back of the Burb can attest to that :D

Now i get grief from some friend of my current choice in musical sounds, used to listen to country (same old whiney crap) did some rock for awhile, but just kept with the same stuff on the radio,,,

now i'm more into remixed music, really doesn't matter, but usually when it's remixed, it's more of a "dance" type format, extra bass, more beat,,,anyhoo, there's a link in my sig if ya wanna check it out:p: :D

12. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Drum n Bass
    House
    Jungle

13. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

jungle?

14. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I used to like rap as a kid before I saw too much of the world , and I really wish I didn't see too much of the world . I do like some still , but can't stand most anymore .

I could of done without Flavor Flav , and although I liked them at the time , I can't really stand most of what they said now . I am just some guy , don't lump me in as the "man"

Compton didn't need to be that way though . Flipping burgers or working hard isn't as appealing as stolen weapons , money , and women I guess .

Yup plenty of image too , and thats what is wrong with it . It really isn't music that says I worked all week , paid my bills and my dues , and now I can party its Friday night .

15. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Yes lets not get started on those phony focktards........

16. pauly383

There is a short list of country artists that aren't phony , but the general public wouldn't know half of them :thumb:

17. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I like rap because it is often a positive type music - they are always happy, getting bitches, money, and chillin with their homies. Sounds good to me.

Now lets look at country music for example - most country singers are sad, lose their bitch, she takes his money and truck, and then his dog dies. Well now, that doesn't sound any fun.

18. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

There are but just a few my friend........

19. pauly383

Same goes for what passes as "Rock" nowadays .

Wheres the AC/DC's of the new generation , music for just fun , no politics , no anything except fun loving hard working folks blowing off steam .

Don't see that anymore either .

20. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

mainstream rap is mostly just really funny to listen to some rediculous beats and lyrics which i listen to for sheer factor of how funny they sound. Now real rappers like Jurassic 5, those guys are awesome,, real words, not just talking about bitchs/rims/hoes/money, and read drum beats. good stuff