Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I have a ton of questions about CB Radio's!

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by 82Jimmy, Jul 17, 2000.

1. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have a ton of questions about CB Radio\'s!

Okay, here we go. I am going to be getting a cb radio, mobile...
    What brand is the best? Best model? Price? Best anntena? I know what an amp does, but how many more miles can they carry? Whats the max range with an amp? With out? Best anntena mounting place? Can a ham radio and a cb radio be used in the same place without interfering with each other? Sorry for all my questions, but I really would like to know. Maybe this should go on the non 4x4 site, but I want lots of ideas. I will be working on my website soon, and I will be posting pics and stuff. I think I will work on the interior then exterior...

<font color=blue>If its too loud, your too old.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Cameron</font color=red> <font color=green>Burnett</font color=green>

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Re: I have a ton of questions about CB Radio\'s!

http://www.coaxkid.com they got a bunch of stuff there, check it out.

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Goto the coaxkid like BlazerGuy said.
    The radios out there have allot of different features if I was to buy one again I would get one with a frequency counter not 1 thru 40. That way you get all the extra chanels. Stock is 4watts and that will take you 5 miles or less. If you run an amplifier witch is illigal but everyone has them you can reach about 25 miles with 250 watts. Weather has allot to do with how far you can reach and hear.
    The antena, well do you want a magnet or mounted type?
    Magent get a Wilson 1000(don't waist your time with the "Lil Will" antena) and is you want a hard mount go with fiber glass type, FireStick and Wilson are rated at 500watts and are a great fiber antenna.
    good luck

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

4. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

So its illegal to have an amP?! Everyone I know that has a cb has one! Oh crap! So do cheap cbs suck? I see 1000watt amps on the internet everyonce in a while. So will a cheap cb handle 1000 watts? What are the consequences of getting caught with an amp on? Probaly sound like retarded questions...but wilson antennas the best? Is the wilson 1000 the best for k5's? I see wilson 5000, but will those work on k5's?

<font color=red>Cameron</font color=red> <font color=green>Burnett</font color=green>

5. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

does anyone here work on cb's.....i need to have someone fix my amp...it will send but wont recieve

Your right I dont understand the jeep thing!?

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yes they are aganst FCC regulations to run in your truck. They are legal in some situations but federally speeking you cannot have a CBRadio put out more than 4watts on a transmition. Do they regulate it, not as much any more now that the frequencys being used for CB are not that popular as they were 30 yrs ago! Can you get caught? Hmmmm, duno if they can locate you or not unless they trick you into telling them were you are...
    I have never heard of anyone accually getting busted for running a kiker/boot/amplifier.
    All radios are made to 4watts per federal regulation and some can be "tweeked & peeked" for higher output but you get better results by runnin an ammp!

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

7. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.

FCC enforced, Max fine 10 years in the crow-bar-inn, and/or 10,000 U.S. Dollars
    don't get caught !

8. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Plus they take the truck or your house for ever, The amp is one count, splitting the chanels up like your talking about is a nother count!, but yes they an only take your truck once right!,

On the Y2K5 meat I could hit the repeter every time with my 2 meter FM rig, Yet I could not rase the guys around the bend, No amp no mater how big will make CBs go around a corner they are line of sight only. Yes you can get skip but that carryes it 100s of miles and still not around the corner.

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

9. slodawg

slodawg 1/2 ton status

Yes you can get caught. Had a buddy in Oklahoma City O.K. get caught and they took everything he had. They can track you by modulation output of your radio and I dont think they can get you on a deadkey. Mine deadkeys at 1.5 watts but swings to 450watts when I talk into it. I had mine done like the guys with the homebase's. As far as a good brand of radio,the cobra 25 or 29 is a good rather cheap radio and can tweaked and peaked to talk like the big boys. I drove an over the road truck for 8 years and hauled logs and nowadays if you aint pushin a little power it's hard to even get out to the person next to you.

<font color=blue>SLODAWG</font color=blue>
    http://www.slodawg.coloradok5.com

10. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

whats deadkey?

11. slodawg

slodawg 1/2 ton status

Deadkey is when you key (push the button) the mike but dont talk into it. Just silent airwaves.

<font color=blue>SLODAWG</font color=blue>
    http://www.slodawg.coloradok5.com

12. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

So if you use your amp all the time, recieve the signal from everyone better...? or is the amp only good for your dead key?

13. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

If they have you on a modulated carrier wave (talking into a mic), and quit talking they can still trianulate on your position...but then again how many FCC vans, Do you see off-roading? I run a 1970's Robyn SX102b, thats been peaked and cut..6 watts and 120% modulation and a Turner M+2U power mic and can push that thru a tube type Echo 250 push/pull linear amp. Normally the Uncle Charlie boys don't chase down mobile units, they go afer the monster home bases, that throw enough RF power to go through the TV's, phone lines,etc...but I did watch a guy go down in the late 70's in a mobile, but he could fry a heart pace maker at a 1000 yards! Most of the guys around here are going to the multi-channel FM marine band walkie talkies, much much clearer and most of the time you're not miles part on a trail, so most of that over powered stuff is useless, I NEVER use mine unless I'm on the trails, too damn noisy.

Sneaky Pete aka
    <font color=blue>White Knight</font color=blue>

14. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I see some are not sure about the rules , so I give you this address, it is Part 95 Subpart D of the Federal Communications Commission on the rules and regulations concerning Citizen Band Radio.

<font color=blue>http://www.ameritech.net/users/thecbguy/cb_rules.htm

<font color=black>
    You will find out that at no time is a linear amp legal. At no time shall the power output on AM exceed 4 watts, SSB is 12 watts. Input into the power amplifier is 5 watts but only a max of 4 out to the antenna is allowed, 12 watts sideband.

The only time the FCC will hunt you down is if someone complains about interference due to your cb. And even if you are talking or doing the dead key, you can be found using a loop direction finder and being triangulated. Dead key may not have any modulation but is does have a carrier, and for AM it is the carrier that has the 4 watts of power.

15. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

And annoying, My neighbor had some big azz antenna pushing 1000 watts he bled over my TV, Stereo, he made my toaster buzz when he would key up. Get a good radio and GROUND it good!! that is what causes the static. In the day the skip is strong so it will be noisy anyway. Dont worry about an amp...I have a 102" whip and I get great reception, I use a 1.5' firestik on the trail as to not hit the trees. On the trail we are all close so we can wlinate the noise.darn I cant spell eaither, maby get a power mic too thats good enough and its legal and your neighbor wont hate you

16. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

I have a superstar 3900 250 watt amp and a wilson 5000 antenna it is a roof mount so I had to put a hole in the roof of my k5 but they also magnet mount I love mine and plan on geting a 1500 watt amp next year

if you have the money about 200 get a conex 3300 high power or a superstar 3900 gold turbo and the biggest amp you can aford

[​IMG]Go prepared

I have a Shotgun a Rifle and a 4WD(K5) and Country Boy Can Survive!!!!

17. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Hey 85 mouse wanna make the dude straighten his stuff up, next time he's talking go out, find out which channels he's on and tape your mic down in a dead key, he'll talk, talk, talk, but the only thing he'll hear is your dead key, after about 3 days of this he'll be begging who ever is doing the dead key to stop, then give him the choice do it right or no listening! Did this to a guy years ago who was so strong he came over everything in the house,TV, Stereo, Phone, clock radio...made him straighten up.....[​IMG]if that don't work email me I give you a little more radical way of [enlighting him]

White Knight

18. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I'm running a wilson 100 mag mount style ant. off the top off mine. DANG strong magnet, but it can be knocked off. TRUST ME! I would suggest the wilson for most anything but a firestick is a good hard to break ant. The wildon sometimes gets mangled, especially at Sonic.

You've already got a radio, I saw that in another post. I wouldn't bother with an amp if I were you, they can sometimes be more trouble than there worth. For the trail, you don't really need one anyway. I run a President Import Grant right now, but will probablly pull it for a base since it's dang near the most expensive thing on my truck. It talks like a champ and I have ZERO complaints. If I can get a line on another non-import, I'd consider it in my rig.

Kyle
    89K5

19. bart

bart Registered Member

Well, when I was out tracking down the sources of interference or illegal operations that infringed on our licensed (broadcast) services...it was pretty easy to spot the big, ugly antenna fixed to the house near the apron of one of our tower sites...with a standard field strength meter and a little detective work...if you're running 1000 watts on your cb rig AND causing some noticeable interference by operating say, out of your driveway for hours at a time...it's real easy to find ya...get in the neighborhood, then drive around looking for the guy with the 102" whip!
    The widespread availability of amplification devices is one of the many reasons for the downfall of CB or 11 meters as a licensable communications resource...everyone thinking "well, no one gets caught" or "everyone else is doing it"...
    Look into GMRS for reliable two-way communications...it's licensable, requires some $, not much..and perfectly legal.
    or, go into HAM radio if you wish...or just buy an unmodified CB radio, install a good antenna, tune it to resonance, and utilize it within its limitations.

just my two cents
    Bob KB8PXI

20. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

How can they find you if all you do is talk on the road? can they measure your watts on dead key or something.?