Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I HAVE AIR CONDITIONING!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddysub, Jul 8, 2002.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i got my a/c charged today!!! after 2 yrs without it in the 110+ degree las vegas summers i decided i needed it. they checked the system and it was fine so they charged it with some stuff called freeze 12 it's compatible with R12 systems and costs $20/lb!!! they've been using it for about 6yrs and never had a problem with it. it blows cold air now, that's all i care /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif .

oh and these guys were awesome i didn't have enough money with me so they trusted me to go home and bring the rest of the money back. the've got my business now.

2. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

That is uh... cool!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    Enjoy it!

3. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

enjoy your kewl air!!hope it lasts

4. muddysub

i actually had to turn it down it was getting too cold! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

5. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I have considered this new frezze 12 stuff. Decided on a soft top before i mess with the A/C so maybe in a few months i'll look into it again. Wait by then it will start to get cool outside again /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif .Let us know how it lasts and cools after it gets really really hot.

James

6. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Cool Scott. You got air now! If he had to turn it down today because it was too cold that would mean it's pretty good because it was 110+ today here in Vegas.

7. muddysub

yes it was. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif adam (mudbogAD) would know his jimmy has no air. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I just charged up the AC on my dually I just got and used the Freeze 12. I bought it myself and it ran about $4.75 a pound. It seems to work great and I know people that swear by it.

9. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I have AC in my truck, but I never use it because it wastes gas (but I don't live in LasVegas... I live in Michigan) /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Not to steal the post but where did you get it? And can it be added to R12 or do you have to evacuate it and then put it in?

James

11. muddysub

i don't know where to get it, you have to get the r12 out first.

12. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

Give it a few days before celebrating. Two years is a long time for a system to sit. Generally it will leak again or something else will go. I hope not for your sake.

13. bklynlifted

bklynlifted 1/2 ton status

i thought freeze 12 and r12 are compatable and you don't have to evacuate the system??? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

14. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

No expert on compatability, but a vacuum is done for two reasons. To check the system for leaks and to remove moisture and whats left in the system. Your system is pretty well dried out and should be fine. The whole point behind freeze 12 is that it will work with the old 12. If it works, don't loose sleep!

I just got mine working today too. I had a vacuum put on the system and R-134a installed. My truck was abandoned when I got at auction and the coolant system had been empty for I don't know how long. I used the newer style lines of an '85 and robbed some very nice 0-rings off an old compressor. My guy didn't seemed to concerned that it was an R-12 system. He said it shouldn't be a problem since my setup was bone dry to start with.

It was fun gettting it going though. I used the compressor off the '85 along with hoses. Charged the system and flipped the switch, YIKES! Big ol' belt squel because the thing was siezed. I looked all over and found my old one that I took off in the motor swap. It then leaked around the 0-rings on compressor. Found some near new ones and dropped those in. It held! I turn on the A/C while he's got the 134 keg hooked up and I keep hearing a clicking sound and the vents aren't cool. It was cycling on and off because the system was filled enough. Then the clicking stopped and things started to get real cold. Man, it was a nice ride home!

15. muddysub

welll cookinwithgas you were right. the compressor died today!