Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I have an important question (no, seriously)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by thezentree, Feb 7, 2007.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

I've got a job-related question for yall, but first a little bit of background info.

I have been working on and off for System Design & Integration since July, a company that's owned by my best friend's parents. I was laid off (kinda - still on the payroll, but not working) in October. This was mostly due to the fact that I was in school and could only work part time, and I finished the last project that I could work part time. SDI started an elevator company called Ocean Elevations around the time I started with SDI. SDI owns OE, which is run by my best friend's older brother, the son of SDI's owner.

With me so far?

Anyway, I started working with OE around Christmas installing elevators. Since I've been working with OE this semester, word got back to SDI's owner that I wasn't in school. Being that they really were disappointed that I couldn't continue workin in October, they re-hired me last week to go work as a contractor at GNF. Now the situation is this: I'm officially employed by both companies, and I apparently am going to be working with both companies equally. For example, this week, I worked Mon and Tues with SDI (20hrs) and I will finish the week with OE (~25-30hrs). Problem is, this keeps me from getting any overtime. Since SDI is a relatively small company (10 employees) and OE is owned by SDI, run out of the same office as SDI, and partly managed by SDI's owner, it's basically a division of SDI, just kept separate on the books.

SO, ONTO THE POINT OF THIS NOVEL:

Is it completely unreasonable for me to ask to get paid overtime for when I work more than 40 hrs for both companies?

2. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

certainly not unreasonable to ask from the way i see it.

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Not unreasonable. I wouldn't expect them to say yes, but I wouldn't expect a negative reaction either, it's perfectly reasonable.

4. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i think legaly they have to.but if they have seperate tax numbers for each company. and are under different names,etc. then you work part time for both.

5. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Not sure if the sizes of the companies means they are exempt from having to pay overtime.. do other people get overtime?

This is where working with friends / family gets tricky.. they may just say you have two seperate part time jobs. ( which is what it looks like to me )..they may feel that you owe them for not firing you when you went to work for OE, instead of being in school like they thought you were.. on the other hand, they may really like you, and want to make you happy..

6. thezentree

I've gotten overtime from both companies in the past. And it wasn't that I was hiding the school thing from them. I was in school fall semester (I was actually living with SDI's owners at the time - they're kind of like my second parents), but this spring semester, I am not taking classes. I just hadn't really talked to them about not being in school this semester.

I can't really see them not paying me overtime, much less getting pissed about me asking, I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't being a douchebag by asking.

7. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Is there enough work for you to work full time for either company? What about when you start taking classes again, will they continue to let you basically make your own schedule? Think long term but it sounds like you won't be turned down as long as you are diplomatic about the situation. And yes, you should be able to get paid overtime if the checks are written out of the same account.

Do you get hazzard pay for the elevator installs? Some guys here do if they work the pit.

8. thezentree

There's plenty of work at SDI, definately enough to keep me busy full time. I've talked to them about going back to school and they said that as long as I can work a decent amount of hours a week, they'll keep me around. They're real easy to work with, so I don't see that being a problem unless I'm taking like 12 or 15 hours.

I don't think they're the same account. Definately different names on the checks.

And no, I don't get hazard pay. But it would be a lot cooler if I did.

9. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

IIRC if their tax numbers are the same (which is kinda doubtful) they're required to.

10. thezentree

I'll ask about it when I get my timesheets on Monday.

11. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

i'd ask anyway. like mikey said I doubt you're gunna get a yes to it, but its definatly worth a shot. just dont push it, ask casually