Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i have an interesting opportunity...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by beater_k20, Aug 3, 2006.

1. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

my boss asked me today if i'd like to hit the road. not fired, or quit, but a chance to travel and hit a few RV rallies. i'd get to see a part of the country i've never seen before (Salem, OR) and make some good $$$ in the process.

the catch is... i've never flown before. :eek1: anything i should expect? anything i can do to make it easier? i always said that if i ever flew for work, there would be someone i know and trust along with me. my buddy Jeremy is going too, so i've got that covered.

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I really don't like to fly but having said that it's not the end of the world to get on a plane. You never know. You might find that it's not a big deal for you to be 35,000 feet in the air.

3. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

bring something to pass the time and its cake. I useually read and it works out great for me

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

chewing gum, magazines, and some music man.

Chewing gum helps with the altitude change and the pressure change effect on your ears. Magazines and music to pass the time. And I say DO IT!

5. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

I love flying! Takeoff is my favorite part. I just love to feel the acceleration and when the plane leaves the runway and climbs. Almost like flying. Wait, it is flying!

6. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a great opportunity.. I'd take it, if it was me.. flying isn't a big deal.. all of the above are good suggestions, just get to the airport EARLY , so the security shakedown doesn't make you miss your flight..

also, try and fly direct.. connecting flights can be a b**tch.. I got stuck in dulles airport once trying to find my connecting flight's terminal.. It was a different airline than the one I came in on, and there was no signage telling me what terminal I was supposed to be in.. 3 shuttle rides later, I JUST made my flight..

Tom

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Don't carry or pack anything in carry-on luggage sharper than a twinkie

Pack wrinkle free clothes if you have them. If not, when you get to the hotel, hang them in the bathroom and turn on the hot water in the shower, close the door and wait for 45 mintues or so. Most of the wrinkles will come out.

Drink lots of water a few days before you leave, during the flight and while out of town. Flying dehydrates you - will create headaches, decrease decent sleep, etc.

Eat before you leave for the airport or at the airport before your flight leaves. Food is rarely served on board these days and sometimes you can get delayed sitting on the tarmac due to weather or whatever.

Along that line, pack a lunch and/or snacks and water in case you are delayed or arrive where you're going after all sources of food have closed.

Carry something to read. Ipods, cell phones and computers are turned off for take-off and landing, and if you do get delayed somwhere, having a book or smething to do that doesn't require electricity is nice to have.

Carry your cell phone charger onto the plane. If you get delayed in an airport you can find an electrical outlet in the terminal and charge it. (I carry an extension cord and chargers for computer Ipod and cell phone in my briefcase when I travel).

Always check in for your flight online, as soon as they allow (typically 24 hours before takeoff). Check to see what other seats are available - sometimes better ones than you have are now open. You print your bgoarding passes from online and that gives you a little more time to get to the gate if needed.

Airport security screening lines are sometimes incredibly long and sometimes empty, for no apparent reason. Get to the airport at least an hour before your flight in case the line is stopped while they strip search some ninety year old woman on oxygen.

Don't sit in middle seats. Aisle seats allow you to stretch your legs a bit (as do emergency row seats, but they don't recline and the arms between the seats are fixed)., Downside is people bump you as they lumber down the aisle. Window seats are OK if you're small.

If you are flying on an Airbus 321, don't sit in rows 11 thru 19. They are unbearably hot no matter what. Something about the hydraulics or something under that area of the plane.

Don't worry if you hit turbulence. It is rarely a problem, just a little bumpy and happens on almost every flight at some point.

Carry extra cash in case you need something you didn't think of or something comes up wherever your destination is.

I'm sure there's more, but that should get you thru in good stead.

8. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

dayum! that's a lot of info that was never told to me for my first flight.

It's great man, just sit back and relax! I've only flown twice and loved both times.

9. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Bring a parachute, Ive got one...used 6 times only opened 5...seriously bring a game boy, extra batteries, Magazine or Book and bottle of water. If your only going for a while pack all your stuff in cary on and dont check luggage, that will speed things along.

10. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

The air is super dry on flights. If your nose is sensitive to that, take a H2O nasal sprayer, and Chapstick. Don't take anything you don't want to lose.........take as little to carry/keep up with as you can.
    And that is just too kool...travel and trucks!!! :D

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

thanks for the tips guys. as for arrangments, they're all made for me, so i dont have to worry about any of that. the down side is i also have no say in it either. when it comes to packing, i'll be gone for 2 weeks, and i have to carry a toolbox as well, so packing light isnt an option.

12. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

huh? :confused:

13. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Those little folding hand trucks will really help ya out then!!! :wink1:

14. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

yea you def might want to go a little early with a tool box cause theyll probably give you a hard time on that.

15. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Murdock!...

I hate flying..I'm a pussy once my feet leave the ground!..I almost used the barf bags when I flew out of Nashville in a bad thunderstorm,and the plane suddenly dropped during takeoff about 5000 ft up!:eek1: --felt like the wings fell off!:yikes:
    ..I went to Hawaii in '84,we hit turbulence over denver,and they had to about PRY me onto the next plane in CA to finish the trip!..only one flight did I actually do good on,it was a nice sunny calm day,and "only" 2 hrs,15 minutes..but I'd rather stay on the ground..I feel if God meant for us to fly,we'd have our own wings..

Best way to get me on a plane would be like they do to Mr."T" on the "A" team!--drug me till I pass out,and wake me when we get there!..:rolleyes:

16. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

All the above are good suggestions but what has done good with me is sleeping on the plane. Especially when landing in a different time zone. I find it helps to be refreshed when I land. It got me throught the many C-130/Blackhawk flights back in the day. And besides if there is trouble and we crash at least I can go in my sleep.

17. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

2 martinis extra dry... Yull have a great flight
    Just rember to pick up your tool box before leaving the airport. Oh yeah ... Make sure it is locked.

18. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Can't lock anything anymore, even if checked bag unless it is a TSA approved lock (whatever the hell that means). Someone in the company should handle that for him.

Re: sleeping on the plane - good to do if ya can. I can't, but envy those who do.

19. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

The only reason not to want to fly... are you much talling that 6 foot or much heavier than 250lbs? The tiny seats will kill you if you are both.

20. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

It may also kill the one next to you...