Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I have an odd question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big jimmy 91, Aug 9, 2004.

1. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

I have a 91 Jimmy 350 , 700R, NP 241
    It has 2 HI , 4HI , N , 4LOW shift on the transfer case
    My question is , can I put it into 4 LOW without the hubs locked to have a 2 LOW and not do any damage to anything
    I would like to do this if it can be done without causing damage to anything in the drive train
    So any reason why this can't be done ?
    /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

can be, will cause internal wear on the gears and bearings on the fornt cause they will be spinning. But thats no more than if the hubs were locked. Front shaft will also be spinning. Basically there isn't much of a reason to do it. Not that I can think of anyway, 4 wheel can only help /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. big jimmy 91

I have 2 reasons to do it

1. I need a really low gear to pull heavy equipment at a farm at a very slow speed

2. I would like to pull into the burnout box at the drag races and light up the 35 X 14's just to see the reaction it would get /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. jrsheets

jrsheets Registered Member

just make sure your drivetrain is strong enough for it.

5. big jimmy 91

It's stock /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
    But I have no better excuse to upgrade it than a mechanical failure /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd be careful if you use low range with the hubs unlocked--I did that to show off in my 72 K5 I had years ago--I stripped the U-joint flange splines right out on the rear end(it was a 12 bolt too!)--didnt impress anyone,in fact--I still get ribbed about that night by my friends,How I had to drive home in 4wd for 20 miles on back roads at 20mph! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. Its possible to snap axle shafts and spider gears with the tremendous rourque available in low range,even with a wimpy motor,so be expecting something to break,espescially if its half ton rear ends!. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Well for the farm stuff, why not just use 4wd?

And for the burnouts.... Do you have lock outs or auto hubs??? And as long as you break the tires loose, you should be ok. Just dont rev too high since 4low will get the rpms up quicker!

8. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Its possible to snap axle shafts and spider gears with the tremendous rourque available in low range,even with a wimpy motor,so be expecting something to break,espescially if its half ton rear ends!.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I would have to second this, be very careful, you could grenade a lot of stuff very quickly, just trying to show off.

9. big jimmy 91

For the farm stuff I have to pull hay wagons and such for up to 15 miles down the highway shoulder very slow , 10MPH.

I have man. hubs , 10bolts , with a gov bomb in the rear /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
    BTW , I have destroyed 2 diffs. in a mustang and 1 1/2 ton diff in my 85 chev /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Thanks for everyones input , I will take it all into consideration /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

A little late, but just food for thought, the 2wd LO thing is one of my favorite tricks for backing up large trailers in tight spaces...just gives you more control.