Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I have been thinking about the M1028 I have.

Discussion in 'Southeast Region' started by grimjaw, Aug 10, 2006.

1. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

I have been thinking about the M1028 I have. I bought it planning to rob the engine and axles for a 1979 J**p J10 pickup. The more I look at it sit in the yard and on paper I am think of just building the CUCV. I have been flip-flopping on a few different decisions and we can’t have that! So I thought I would post it here and see if you could talk some sense into me. The finial use of the truck will be a DD/toy, not a rock buggy. I do not have wads of cash but the wife will let me spend some over a bit of time.

Overall I am happy with the 6.2L diesel engine. I would like to swap in the heads, turbo, and serpentine setup off a ‘96+ 6.5L. This should provide good power, good mileage and not cost what the Banks kit does. This could wait till the right deal comes around. I need to find a 6.5L with a bad bottom end on the cheap.

Since the truck is a diesel and has 4.56 gears I need a good OD transmission. I had thought a built 700r4 then I talked to Steve Kibbe. He got me thinking about an nv4500. I have never owned a manual transmission before but anything can be learned. Both have good gearing, good OD and most likely cost about the same. The nv4500 is stronger and has a lower first gear. This would be nice offroad. The 700r4 may be better in a street turbo diesel. The TV cable seems like a real PITA. I could possibility do a manual valve body but I need input/research.

The transfer case is next in line. I would like a strong TC with reasonably available parts and good low range. I would like to not have a chain anywhere in the truck (thinking timing gear set, even). My first thought is a doubler using an np203 and np205. Then the crazy talk began and I started looking at the LoMax np205 and D300. Either of those gives a wide range of possibilities and crazy crawl. Talk sense to me on this.

The axles are overall great. I think a rear disc conversion is a simple job, even for me. I am thinking I will ‘go all the way’ and do hi-steer. I have found two companies making D60 steering arms the do away with the kingpin spring. There are Parts Mike and WFO. I hope the will remove the specter of death wobble from the d60.

This brings us to lift and tires. After playing with a gear calculator I figure I need 36”-37” tires for highway rpms. I really do not want to hack up the fenders like my K5. I am thinking a 6” front springs and DIY4x flip in the rear. I may need to remove a few leaves in the rear depending on finial ride quality. With a 6” lift a little careful fender trim should work.

This brings us to a few odd things about this truck. It came from MacDill AFB and those boys know their redneck engineering. Currently it has a flat bed held on by a few 2x4s and treaded rod. It also has a single large square fuel tank mounted on one side. The doors on the truck are most likely from another truck. I want to get a proper fleetside long bed for the truck. Removing the flat bed looks easy enough but I will need proper fuel tanks. Hopefully the bed donor will have dual 19 gallon diesel tanks and maybe even doors with out rust hole.

If anyone has read this far, thank you! What is just crazy talk and what of this makes good sense? Any advice is appreciated.

2. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Build the truck.

I've got your longbed, the wheel wells have been removed but I still have them. I've also got one good drivers door.

I went and paid for a 454/400 Dually C30 yesterday, so I'll have some more parts by the weekend.

3. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

Leave the drive train alone while it runs. Leave the stock 6.2/th400/np208. Go ahead and lift it, high steer it, rear disc it, and drive it. Don't worry about a turbo or a od tranny or a doubler:D

Believe me, once its apart, you'll just spend more time and money getting it back together rather than enjoying it while its running. Tackle one project at a time, and don't start it until you have the parts, time and money to finish that one project.

Make a list of priority; ie. lift before tires and so on...

4. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Thanks John. Once it cools off a bit, I will be headed your way. You do have more chevys than the local yards!

Steve - The plan has always been to make it user friendly before doing any major mods. I am trying to find a deal on 6" front springs right now. Emmettology 101 may have a set for sale. I like to have a plan for the total build. This way I do not back track any more than I have to. The only 'off course' upgrade may be A/C to make the wife happy.

As to current needs, has anyone used the springless hi-steer arms before?