Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I have developed a tick

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sparky, Aug 31, 2000.

1. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    I bought my K-5 about a month ago and everything checked out on it. No noises, perfect compression, etc. It is a 78 with a 350. I changed the oil and did a tune up on it and since then I have been hearing a tick comeing from the engine. It stays at a constant noise level when I accelerate, but it obviously gets more rapid. My first reaction is that the previous owner was hideing the tick with some heavier oil. Any body have any other thoughts about what it might be? Can a bad mixture cause the valves to make noise? Any help would be appreciated.

Sparky

78 K-5

2. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

Maybe you're sitting too close to the tv ? Hahahahaha !

Does it sound like a lifter ticking ? Are you sure it's from your engine, sonetimes a leaky header gasket can make a ticking sound ??

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

3. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Could be exhaust leak or lifter. More than likly a lifter since noise gets no louder. Try adjusting the valves this might help.

4. Peeetah

Peeetah Registered Member

Were in the same boat

I just went through replacing exhaust manifold gaskets to get ride of a tick. Well it's still there and a guy at an exhaust shops seems to think it is comming from a bad rocker or something so take it to a shop before you go through the trouble of replacing exhaust stuff. I got the truck about 5 months ago and there was no tick in mine too. Your not the only one.

Jimmy
    Peter Schneider

5. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help guys. And, no, I am not sitting too close to the TV. My only problem is that I am in school now, and I have no time. My Blazer is my daily driver and I need to have it every day. I need to find what the problem is and fix it this weekend if possible. If it is the rockers or something like that I am screwed. First of all I have never adjusted valves before, and I have heard it is a B***h. On top of that, how do I know if is the valves without takeing off the valve covers?

On the other hand, would it be wise to put in some heavier oil and let it go for a while, as long as it makes no noise. I put in 10w30, and I guess I will go up to 25w50. Also, is it possible that it is something in the ignition system? All I did was set the timeing. I am going to replace the cap and rotor as soon as I get a chance. Help ASAP. Thanks again

Sparky

78 K-5

6. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

You know I was kidding about the tv......right ?

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

7. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

Yeah, of course I know. Don't sweat it. Just haveing some fun.

78 K-5

8. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

Ditto ...... I just like to bring a little humor with me.

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

9. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

Check for a loose or missing header bolt.

10. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

10W30, instead of 10w40 why you are sacrificing the protection of a 40 weight oil for a 30 weight oil when you run 10w30. Thats your first problem. To check the valves take off the valve cover (im assuming you have a hydraulic cam) get each cylinder to close individualy, then try to spin the push rod with your finger. If you can, tighten down the holding nut on each rocker for that cylinder, (its a 5/8s probably). Go a half a turn past the point that you can't spin it anymore. I hope this helps, if it is a stuck lifter try a little marvel mystery oil to loosen it up, (I think people still use this stuff, it works good). how is your oil pressure?? don't over rev the engine either, that will make any noise worse.....good luck js

11. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

My oil pressure seems to be good. It is about 10 Psi for every 1000 Rpm. I am going to try putting in some heavier oil. If that helps me for a while I'll go with that untill I have more time to mess with it. Thanks again.

Sparky

78 K-5