Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i have few tranny problems please help i am new to the mechanical world

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tmaxxer9, Feb 12, 2003.

1. tmaxxer9

tmaxxer9 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifOk I am new to vehicles and there power plants. Well this really has nothing to do with the engine, but instead the tranny. Ok sometimes when i drive it I can not go backwards when in the R postion. Instead it will go forward same with it being in the N postion. What do you think the problem could be. I think I either have a big air bubble in the tranny or I need to get it rebuilt. It is a 75 K5 blazer with a 350 in it. So any help would be great.

2. VitaminK5

VitaminK5 Registered Member

Drop the pan and make sure of where the linkage is connecting. There is a slotted arm for opening fluid ports that let you get in gear. Sticking valve body...small plunger..big spring! Clean fluid or metal shavings? Loose linkage, maybe. Gear selector arm under chassis where it pivots.

3. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Whoa, take it easy, before you drop the pan make sure the linkage is adjusted right!!!! Sounds like the problem to me. - doug

4. mudober

mudober Registered Member

You may want to take it to your local tranny shop if the pan has to come off.It wont cost you much if you bring your own fluid to refill it to have it adj.Tranny stuff can be confusing looking up at it from the ground.Not to mention they drip all over you.

5. tmaxxer9

tmaxxer9 1/2 ton status

See I would take it to a shop, but how am i suppos to learn anything if I have other people do all my dirty work. See I ain't affraid of a little fluid dripping on me. So if anyone has any other ideas please help. But those of you who threw in your 2 cents thank you very much.

6. tmaxxer9

tmaxxer9 1/2 ton status

Ok i crawled under the truck and had a friend move the shifter as i watched the linkage and it seemed to move fine, so what else could be wrong?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Did you check the little plastic bushing that sits in that little metal cup where the shifter pivots... I don't know how to explain it exactly, but you should know what I'm talking about if you were under there. Its where the up and down movement of the linkage pivots and changes directions to allow it to rotate and shift the gears... if that little plastic bushing is gone or badly worn you can have problems with it going in and out of gear. Also, inside of the pan the detent has a little stamped out piece of metal with a roller on the end that holds the selecter in place... its actually what makes the clicking noise when you shift it. The metal can get weak and not hold it in gear as well as it should. If you can come across another one of those pieces and cut the roller off of one and install the two of them into the tranny, that can help hold it in gear better.

Hopefully you can make heads or tails out of what I've written... talking about things that have to do with a tranny is hard......... doing it in person is easier. Also, dont be afraid of your tranny, there not THAT bad... and if you have any more questions you can PM me and I can help out more... I've rebuilt a couple of TH350s and 1 Th400.

8. the professor

the professor 1/2 ton status

A simple experiment..
    --
    When it doesn't go backwards...take the shifter, lift it out of the detent...and move it up toward Park, and down toward Drive...

If it suddenly goes into gear..the problem most likely is the linkage..

It could be simple adjustment...slightly complicated, but not too much..

Before you attempt adjustment, you have to check for loosness in the shifter mech..

Besides the wear and tear on the linkage itself...

The linkage is dependent on the distance from the cab to the frame/engine...

Sagging body mounts cause the most change in linkage adjustment

Motor mounts, because of the "eqalizer shaft" between the frame and engine, not as much

As was pointed out, there is a plastic bushing on the frame side of the equalizer arm, but more important, at the bottom of the steering coulum, where the shift lever sticks out, and the linkage connects, there is a rubber bushing that sometimes goes bad...

Have someone moves the shifter for you , and if you see play at that point...replace the bushing and try it again

Also, if someone moves the shift lever, and the external shift lever doesn't move as much, the problem is in the column

The shift lever/collar, at below the steering wheel, can wear out inside, or the pin in the shift lever gets loose...

If all externals are tight, little lost motion,...AND THE CAR GOES INTO GEAR when you move the shifter...

Try adjusting it first..

IF still no luck, and the THE TRANS GOES INTO GEAR WHEN YOU JIGGLE THE LEVER..

The shift rod goes through the trans case into the pan area, and has a cam/lever aragnement bolted on the other end..it is possible for the nut to come loose..
    you will need to pull the pan
    ====

IF YOU CANNOT GET THE TRANS TO GO INTO GEAR, by moving the lever back and forth, you are probably loosing the Lo/Reverse or Direct clutch in the trans, and it will need to be dissassembled

Hope this helps.. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif