Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I have my next couple weekends sitting in my living room(pics)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by marine_enlisted, Apr 28, 2004.

1. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

This is what happens when a gearhead is forced to live without a garage!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Almost have all the parts gathered to go from 10 bolts front and rear to 1 ton, regear to 4.56, rebuild the 14Bolt FF, switch to rear discs.

I wussed out on the Detroit and went with the new Eaton Carbon Clutch Posi. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I guess we'll see how it works in a couple weeks. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Thanks to all the members that I have bought parts from in the last couple of weeks.

I bought all my axle parts form Randy's Ring and Pinion. They were awesome to work with, my parts got here in 2 days and they were pretty cheap. They will haggle on parts unlike many other suppliers. They even sold me a used D60 4:56 open carrier that they had sitting there for $50.00 /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

my bedroom looks like that in one corner, just not d60 parts. time to clean it up /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

3. marine_enlisted

Now that I think about it , I should've probably posted this in the Garage. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Oops. Sorry Mod's. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Man, send that posi back and get a detroit. Trust me, you'll never regret it.

Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetroit all the way. Wish I could have afforded to do one up front, personally.

5. marine_enlisted

I figured you'd be the one to give me [darn] about it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I'm gonna stick with the posi. I don't get off the pavement enough to really need a full locker and I hate the thought of my wife ever getting in the truck some winter and hitting a patch of ice and spinning the truck off the road... come to think of I hate the thought of my wife behind the wheel of the truck period. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif but that's a whole different issue. Anyways these new Eatons are supposed to be a lot stronger, have more holding power than the old ones and they are fully rebuildable. To me, it's alot better than a gov-bomb or an open diff.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A posi unit has just as much capability to spin you out as a locker. In fact, with the very limited traction available that ice and snow have, it's easy to spin out no matter what you have.

That said, if you'd tried the Detroit, I'd bet you wouldn't remove it for winter!!

I know this because I thought I'd remove the Lock-Right from my DD only to leave it in all winter long because I found it FAR more controlled to have the locker even in the snow.

I personally think the locking/unlocking horror stories from people about lockers, and that resulting in a loss of control, are from people that do not own lockers or don't know what they're talking about.

That said, it's your truck. I'd hate to see another member do something they'd really regret, but I feel that you're definitely headed down that road right now.

7. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

Man, my wife gets p*ssed off /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif when I do that, especially when I do it in the bedroom. WTH, she knew what she was getting into when she said, I do. garage is way full /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif