Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i have my very own burb buildup!

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by fendereff, Feb 4, 2007.

1. fendereff

fendereff 1/2 ton status

all the cool kids were gettin burb build up threads, so i got one too. after all of the repairs i did, the burb is just about rehabilitated. Just need exhaust manifolds bolted back on. I got some tires this weekend. they are too big to fit as is, so its tims for the burb to skinny down. going to cut the fenders to make room. it has 35x14.5 boggers on it now, but i picked up some 38x13s that my ol man was good enough to buy me for my birthday. after that, ill be throwing on the shackle flip in the rear with the zero rates i got sittin in the garage. then comes all my lights and building a roof rack. ill have pictures of my tires later today

2. fendereff

fendereff 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the front tire is turned, so it looks worse than it is. Once i get some time, im going to throw on my new rear suspension and then cut the fenders as much as i can. still trying to decide if im going to keep the inner fenders in the front...

3. fendereff

fendereff 1/2 ton status

ok so i am about to cut then fenders, but dont know if i want to take the inner fenders out or not. what are yalls thoughts on it? If i took them out, i would be able to cut more of the fenders, but i hear that its nice to have them to keep mud and water out of the engine compartment

4. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

nice tires! here's how I cut my fenders.... those pics are when I had 36's and just 4" leaf springs...... also, u are going to want to cut the rear too... I'll take some pics to show u where. cause if u don't u are going to cut up those new swampers....

000_0597.JPG

000_0598.JPG

000_0601.JPG

5. fendereff

fendereff 1/2 ton status

i drew some lines that i think i might cut. i drew the max i could take off w/o touching the inner fenders. here are the pics:

[​IMG]
    this is the most i can take off the front and not touch the inner fenders. actually, its cutting the inner fenders and pushing the top of the fender banck underneath and attatching it to the part of the inner fender i cut off.

[​IMG]
    this is hacking into the inner fenders and getting rid of them. i dont like it as much as the previous picture.

[​IMG]
    same but with tire mocked in place

[​IMG]
    rear...the cut would extend all the way to the back of the burb. that is the most i can take off, and i think i would take the max in the rear bc the rear fenders are lower than the front from the factory...and i have plenty of room

[​IMG]
    and here is the rear with the tire mocked up

i know in the front i def dont need to take off alot of height at the top, and dont need to in the rear. i want to take off the extra lip that hangs down though just bc.

6. fendereff

fendereff 1/2 ton status

i may even start cutting this week

7. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

hey man, great pics!!, I like how you mocked it up on the fenders. Did you use a washable marker, or is that permanent??

8. fendereff

fendereff 1/2 ton status

dry erase marker :D

9. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

OH!!!!

Your a quick one, aren't you!!!

I like that man, I am going to do that when it comes time to rip into my sheet metal.

How well did it come off?

10. fendereff

fendereff 1/2 ton status

most of it real easy. the first time i wiped it, i used a dirty finger and it just smeared, but when i used a damp towl it came right off. i made sure i had a clean marking surface first of course

11. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

man thats alot of triming.... my 38x13 clear with the amount of trimming I did. and my flex is real good... the first pic I drew some red circles to show where I trimmed... and heres some flex show of my burb...and it dosen't rub anywhere...

sample.JPG

000_1702.JPG

000_1703.JPG

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I didn't rub with my 35" tires much with a 2" lift but I trimmed the max for future bigger sizes, I anded up staying with the 35" but it looks nice with the bigger opening and better curves, I don't like the square opening they make.:D

13. fendereff

fendereff 1/2 ton status

yea im not taking any off the top in the front, just the corners at the bottom and the front to give a better approach angle. im cutting the whole rear to make it even with the front.

14. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

oh oK, yeah as soon as I get some free time I'm going to cut off the rear overhang off too...

15. fendereff

fendereff 1/2 ton status

nice rig btw, i really love burbs. i wasnt sure how i liked white, but i really like it with the black stripe. once i get the cutting done, im going to use a bedliner to make my black stripe. give it some durability and protection. i should start the cutting tomorrow or friday. with any luck the tires will be mounted by monday.

16. fendereff

fendereff 1/2 ton status

also, i was just going to use cutting wheels on my grinder to cut these off. good idea? what did yall use to cut them? i have limited access to torches and plasma cutters. i dont think my shop would let my try and squeeze my burban into the metal shop to cut any of this.

17. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

the front fenders I used a plasma cutter...all of my other cuts I used a sawzall.... so yeah a sawzall and cutoff wheels will work just fine....

18. fendereff

fendereff 1/2 ton status

good deal. did the sawzall crack or splinter the paint around the cut?

19. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I used an angle grinder for all my trimming. Worked fine for me

20. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

nope! u should be good to go....