Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I have never put a top on my 69 and need help..

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by harry, Oct 1, 2002.

1. harry

harry 1/2 ton status

I am woundering if the back of the top, below the rain gutter, sits flush with the back of the body.

The reason I ask this is because I have A '69 and I bought a '72 top. The mounting holes on the top on the bed rail are in a different location than the holes in the top and I only want to drill the bed rails once.

thank,

2. swamp donkey

swamp donkey 1/2 ton status

Sorry I can't help, but I too have questions. I have been topless all summer, and now when I try and put on my double wall it seems too long (I'm sure the windsheild is just leaning back), but the rubber that should seal against the doors windows (you know the ones that roll up and down)is at least an inch away.
    My truck has a six point cage, so I thought it would not sag... do I just shove and push and grunt until the windsheild frame moves enough forward? ANY tips or ticks would be great.

3. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Single walled top or double walled top.Double wall bolts to the bed from under the bed rails,single wall bolts through the top down into the bedrails.
    The very end of the top(the back end) is flush to the back bedrail.
    Actually if the front is in its proper place it should all line up on it's own unless things have shifted.I can take pic's if you need them.

4. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Wow .. mine went on and off without a hitch several winters in a row. Have you got a bar on the cage across the top of the windshield? A small jack or porta-power between the windshield and cage might help you get the windshield into position (carefully). Is the window gasket an inch away at the top of the window as well as the bottom? If the gap is even all the way across it's likely the windshield is leaning back like you said, but if it's much wider at the top than at the bottom, the body may have flexed.

As an aside - has anyone with a cage put any sort of spacer or bushing between their cage and windshield to prevent this problem?

5. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

There's a little bit of play forward and back in the nuts in the bedrail of my 72 to allow you to position the top so it fits best. IIRC mine sits almost, but not quite, flush at the back, but you want to be sure that everything fits right around the windshield and windows - if that's OK, then you're probably good to go

Don't have any pics to help - sorry

6. swamp donkey

Chris_T - The gap is even. I can see the windsheild flex forward when I shut the door. Always seemed fishy to me. The body mounts are all brand new Energy Suspension (installed before the cage was built). I will carefuly pry it on there.

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Were the body mounts done with the hardtop off? That could be the problem. You might need to re-shim some of the body mounts. Also I wouldn't use anything to push the windshield frame...
    Try using a jack under the middle of the frame.

8. Tonka

Tonka Registered Member

Mine did the same thing. I believe the windshield frame flexes a little. What I do is park the truck on a steep incline facing downhill with the top very loosely bolted on. Then just a little pushing forward allows me to line up the rest of the bolts and get a good fit around the doors. Works for me.

9. swamp donkey

Triaged - Yeah, as per everones suggestion the body mounts were done with the hard top on.
    I'm sure the top was off when the cage was built though... hmm
    These shims everyone keeps talking about, I don't have any. What do they look like and where can I get them?

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Dylan,

The shims are nothing more that about a 3" x 3" square of steel with a hole drilled through the middle....probably came in a few thicknesses at the factory.

The idea is to put them in with the body mounts to get things lined up nicely (door gaps, fenders, etc)

The "GM Factory Assmebly Manual" actually shows which locations to shim to correct for particular alignment issues....once again....impossible to find in the book because it's laid-out miserably, but once you find it....put a Post-It on the page! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i dont know how long mine was without a top,but the front windshield sagged about an inch back so that when i bought a top for it it was a pain to get back on right.what i did was take a ratchet strap and a 2 by 4 to ratchet the top tight against thefront and pull the windshield frame up enuf to get the bolts in.i hooked one end to the seat frame and then put the 2x4 across the back just under the liftgate(which was up).ratcheted it tight to where the bolts ligned up and tightened them down.kinda ghetto but it works.

12. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

That's likely it then - if your windshield frame is moving back and forth independant of the rest of the body, then I don't know that body bushings are going to help any. It sounds like it's just a little weak. Get the top on to hold it in place and maybe start thinking about what to do with your windshield when it comes back off. An idea - measure the distance from the windshield to the cage when the top is on and everything is in place correctly - then, next time the top comes off, see how bad the windshield 'sags' and whether you feel the need to do anything about it

13. swamp donkey

Greg - Thanks.
    I got that manual last night.
    Would the dealer still carry those shims? if not, what else are people using?

14. Greg72

I'd be surprised if a dealer had shims for our 30yr old trucks.....! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Probably it's a junkyard thing if you want "genuine" parts....but given how simple they are, just find a shop that can cut some 1/8" metal plate for you, and drill it with the proper hole for the boldy mount bolt to fit through...

Maybe I should start selling them, since I could probably make them in my workshop!?!?!? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

15. swamp donkey

Greg I will NEVER have the time to search out and find some. If you make em, I'll buy 'em.
    Did you see the new icon that looks like your truck? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

16. Greg72

Dylan,

Yeah this latest software upgrade has a LOT of weird new smilies and junk:

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

Now I'll have to learn new ways to work them into my messages! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

17. harry

harry 1/2 ton status

Thank's everyone.

BobK,
    That would be great if you could take me a picture from inside the cab looking at where the top meets the top of the windsheild frame. I don't have any seals on it and want to get an idea of how snug it fits against there.

18. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Here you go.
    [​IMG]
    There is about 1/2" gap between the top and windshield frame.I do have all the factory weather stipping on the top.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. harry

harry 1/2 ton status

Awsome, thank you very much.

Those are the exact pictures I was looking for. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Hey Bob your windshield corners look almost as good as mine.