Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I have no rear brakes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sagechicken, Apr 29, 2002.

1. sagechicken

sagechicken Registered Member

I've changed the master cylinder, swapped out the proportioning valve and made sure there is nothing blocking the lines to the rear. When I pump the brakes to bleed them I am not getting anything to come out the bleeder screw on both rear tires. Anybody have any suggestions as to what I should do next?

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

did you bench bleed the master cylinder.???? Maybe something has crushed part of the metal line going to the rear of the vehicle. Did you loosen the line and run compressed air through them when you change the prop. valve with the lines removed from the wheel cylinders in the rear. Maybe you got some water in the fluid and trashed the rear wheel cylinders.

John

3. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Have you checked the bleeder screws to make sure there is nothing clogging them up ? I usually clean mine out with a small drill bit and spray them out with carb cleaner because they are almost always clogged up with mud. See if you get any fluid out with them off.

4. sagechicken

I did run compressed air thru the lines and I also replaced all the bleeder screws on the truck. I was thinking of putting an adjustable prop. valve in anyways. The prop. valve I put in was from the junkyard and may be garbage. Who sells adjustable proportioning valves? I also bench bled the master cylinder.

5. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Well, I tried. Summitt sells adjustable prop valves.

John

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

the adjustable valve goes in addition to a regular combo valve, not instead of.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Prop valves usually aren't to blame. (even though they seem to be the first or second item blamed with no justification) If the brake pads aren't adjusted out to contact the drum when the pedal is applied, I don't believe any fluid will move to the rear. (anyone? I'm just not positive)

From gravity alone do you get any fluid to leak out the holes when you open them up, indicating it is getting that far? You can always disconnect the brake line at the frame right by the rear axle and see if fluid is getting that far, then take the "T" off of the axle and check it for fluid travel too...

8. sagechicken

I had read in the Chiltons book that I may need to "center" the proportioning valve. As soon as I make the clip to hold the pin in I will try it.

9. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

My father-in-laws camaro you couldn't bleed the rear brakes with out the proportioning valve tripping. left the front open to bleed the rear PITA. but it worked