Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I have now joined the US Army.... Updates on page 2

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Waxer, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Went down to the recruiting station today to get some info on the benefits and bonuses as well as job info. They had me take a practice ASVAB test to which I scored a modest 78 on.

It's amazing how much math I have forgotten since high school. I am 99% sure that I am going to join and was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice to give me before I sign my life away at MEPS.

Thanks...

2. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Re: I am about to join the US Army...

I made a post with the same question earlier this month and got some good replies, lemme find the link...

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

good idea going in the army. When it comes right down to it, you just get more $ for school and get paid more (faster promotion). When I was in cuba for the usmc, I saw kids not much older than me that were E6s when i was an E3, I dont care if your dad is a damn 4 star and you're chesty puller, you're not getting promoted that fast in the USMC. i generally thought they were un-sat slobs, but its all good. If i had to do it all over again, I'd prolly sign up in the army in some kind of supply job.

j

4. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Yep, my reply to you is in Capman's thread....... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Go for it man. It's a great time. 78 will get you damn near any job in the Army. Honestly it's been totally worth it. Not always easy, but definitely worth it.

7. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

You'll be able to buy bigger tires now... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    You'll be able to buy bigger tires now... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he'll EARN bigger tires. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. Waxer

I read both this thread and the one linked and I kept seeing stuff about guaranteed jobs and getting everything in writing. I was told that I choose my job at MEPS, AFTER I sign the contract. So I'm not guaranteed any job, unless it is available at the time I sign. What gives???

Also as far as getting things in writing, does this include the sign up bonuses, GI bill money, and any/other bonuses or perks?

10. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I was told that I choose my job at MEPS, AFTER I sign the contract. So I'm not guaranteed any job, unless it is available at the time I sign. What gives???

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless things have changed drastically since I was in (68-72)....they only have to assign you On Paper to your chosen school/MOS/duty station for 10 Days to fulfill their obligation...

that's sorta like signing a blank contract with a car dealer...promise you anything, and guarantee nothing...depending on the training you want, etc...I'd check other services...with world conflict in progress, they'll be filling combat slots with RA enlistees, and Admin/Tech slots with Guardsmen...just an opinion... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

AH! You are OLD like ME! I got out in 74...

Ya... You put in for an MOS and hope like hell you get it. I did. But as far as duty stations are concerned, put the last place you want to go as your first choice and the first place you want to go as your last choice. That's the way the military works. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ive debated and debated and debated onjoining army or evne nat'l guard andnowim 25 and stillllllllll debating,i evne visited camp lincoln in springfiel il for a day for a drill at 6am with a "step uncle" whos a hair over twice as old as me and still in the natty and i even visited the brand new machine shop and got to watch 6.2L diesels getting boredand rebuiltand such and walked throughthe repair garage bays and i just stilldont know, have even talked with a recruiter or two,

dunno....
    hmmmm.....
    i dont think i can trust any of it, yet.
    this one dude int he repair garage said "run away fast" when my step uncle asked him how he like being in the guard.

hrmmmmmmm........

on a side note, i have ben interested in getting my CDL and go drive for a few yearsor so, and hopefully get into school somehow somewhere after then, i dunno.. meanwhile the years are starting to fly by faster and faster, i know a kid my age who been driving CDL for two years already, he is constantly driving, alot, tons. and if he managed to get his CDL and drive then i sure as hell could too, easily. hmm.

hmm.....

13. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Also as far as getting things in writing, does this include the sign up bonuses, GI bill money, and any/other bonuses or perks?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Not sure how things go with sign up bonuses since they weren't giving them out when I signed up in 88. As for the GI Bill..it's guaranteed.You pay $100 a month for the first year you're in and then you can get, I think, $10,800 to use for school after you get out. Makes no sense to use it while you are in since you can go to school and have everything except books paid for and then just apply for financial aid or a grant to help with books.
    When I came in the Air Force I was guaranteed 1 of 2 jobs but I didn't find out which one until 1 week before the end of basic training.

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Yes, you can get everything on paper before you sign...............

Example one, while at MEPs, after spending all day getting poked and prodded, the final station was the MOS desk. They told me that my chosen MOS was full, I could have walked out, but gave them a chance. Picked my MOS, happened to have a bonus for the amount of years I was going in for. All of that was on paper before I signed, to include $$$ amount of GI Bill.

Another time, I extended so I could PCS from my duty station. That was down on the extenstion.

When I reenlisted, I reenlisted for duty of station of choice. That was down on paper before I signed..............

Now, here's a funny story........When I got to basic training (scouts were divided into two different areas, M3 and M113 training. One was longer than the other by a month), I was in front of the Drill Sgt., he interviewed all the troops one on one. I asked if this was M113 and he replied yes. I informed him that I was suppose to go through M3 training, which was 4 weeks longer. He askes if it was in my contract, I said yes. He then asked me if I wanted to be there for 13 weeks or 17 weeks, we could work around what my paperwork said......So in the end, I was out of there in November instead of December.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The G.I. Bill keeps going up. when I joined it was around $14000 now 7 yrs later it's around $20,000. Good deal for $1200 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The college fund is also a very good deal get it if you can.

16. Waxer

From what I have read, the GI bill is up to 50,000 now. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

17. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I believe that is with the $30,000 college fund too though.

18. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

Don't sign the contract unless it specifically states what you want

MOS
    Airborne school/ RIP/ 18X/ etc...
    See if station of choice is possible

And everything else. Even if you have to walk away, dont sign unless you are satisfied with the contract.

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Exactly. I suggest you get a guaranteed duty station. Everyone in AIT wants to know where they're going...the guys that have theirs already are so far ahead of the power curve.

I would never go active without knowing where I was going. I personally would not sign up for longer than that duty station was promised to me either...because when you re-enlist, it's the perfect chance to ask for whatever station you want next.

You hold all the marbles until you sign that paper, then your ass is theirs.

20. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

the gi bill is 36,000 right now, you can put more into it and recieve 42,000. your recruiter will have you contract final before you go to meps, all they do is start the process