Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I have question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4trolls, May 18, 2005.

1. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

I have a 600cfm edelbrock carb on my stock 350,it stalls alot off road. My friend has a wagoneer with a 2bbl on it and his doesnt stall much at all. If I put a 2bbl on mine would it stop some of the stalling problem?

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

put a Quadrajet on it, and call it good. Holleys and Edelcraps are worthless on anything but flat ground.

3. texas78k5

texas78k5 Registered Member

I have the same problem with my Edelbrock. Went wheeling for first time in the "new" Blazer and was disappointed at how it ran.
    This is what I found on Edelbrocks site:
    SPECIAL CALIBRATIONS

The preceding calibrations and adjustments apply to carburetors used in general street applications. In the following extreme instances, special calibration procedures may need to be followed.
    Off-Road

Although the Edelbrock Performer Series carburetor was not calibrated with hill climbing and other extreme off-road operation in mind, it can be made to perform superbly by substituting Edelbrock #1465 spring loaded needle and seat for the original needle and seat. The spring loaded needle and seat act like a shock absorber, reducing the possibility of flooding during off-road operation. After installation of the new needle and seat you must reset the float level to 3/8" and drop the float drop to 1-1/4" as outlined in "FLOAT ADJUSTMENT".

From this page: http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/eps_sect2.html

I ordered them from Summit for $10 or so. Gonna install them this weekend!

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

2bbls are decent carbs. Good throttle response, but yeah a QJet is a better choice, more power, still good throttle response and better off road than most others.

5. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

i have the exact same problem... but really it is expected from a street performance carb... anyone used one of those holly offroad carbs? they look pretty sharp

6. FWP

FWP CRS

Sure, if it was a Ford 2bbl :laugh: . I guess a Qjet is ok, depends on what you're wheelin is like though.

7. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

how much should I pay for a q-jet and what cfm am I looking for? does anyone have experience with the edelbrock kit mentioned above? Thanks for all the responses

8. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

I had a 600cfm Edelbrock on my k5...it stalled a lot on steep climbs and finally caught on fire. I ditched it for EFI after the fire :grin: