Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I have slow power windows?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kmbonomo, May 15, 2001.

1. kmbonomo

kmbonomo 1/2 ton status

My 83 Blazer has slow power windows, there really straining to go up or down in the middle of the travel area or half up or down, anybody have a cure for ailing windows.. thanks

2. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I just did this, so hopefully it works for you, too. Take the door panels off and get access to the inner door and window area. Check out the tracks where the window slides (well, actually where the wheels slide in the track). If it's like mine, it will be all gummed up and dirty. Clean this crud out and generally clean up all the old crud and grease, dirt, etc out of anywhere you can see. Then take some Silicon spray (WD40 will just dry up, so you need something that will last, like silicone or white grease, etc) Spray the tracks liberally and work the window up and down while you do this, getting the spray in the wheels and tracks. I also coated the felt guides on the side, and removed some old rubber that was stuck in there. Mine work ok now, much better than they used to (but still not exactly "burning" their way up and down! ha,ha) If that doesn't work, you might have a bad motor...but try the cleaning and lubing first, it is cheap and easy...

Keith

3. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

mine were slow, one was the motor and the other one I just cleaned the switch terminals with a wire brush and they work fine now

[​IMG]

4. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've had the same probs for so long now I forgot about it!
    Grab the window and pull up....
    I replaced the driver side years ago - I don't see how it would have been possible without my speaker holes.
    I will try the clean and lube - good ideas.
    Dave

5. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Might have to try that out Kpanza..

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/vwryda>http://community.webshots.com/user/vwryda</A>

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Seimens motor for $40 at Autozone. I wish it was cheaper, but at least it works like a charm. I have tried to rebuild them, but it is usually not that worthwhile. They darn things have no bearings and the gears are plastic. Junkyard ones are usually not much better than your old ones unless yours are completely dead.

<font color=green>"I don't have the brains for business. I want to go into politics" -Mao Xinyu </font color=green>

7. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

So what is the difference on newer Chevys? Better motors
    or gearing? I nee 4.10s in my window motor I think - with
    a supercharger....
    I am surprised that no one has some performance mods yet....