Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I have to apologize

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Aug 25, 2003.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I've been talking up the 10 bolt and D44 for years saying that I've never seen one break with a stock small block. Up til now, that was true.

Well guys, I was definitely wrong. I mud bogged yesterday and today both. Yesterday it wasn't competition, I just helped test the pit to see if they had to fix it. Today, I bogged for real. I made it all the way through yesterday and a couple other guys did too (but at least 70% got stuck yesterday).

Today, I made it all the way to the end of the pit and my truck stopped about 10' from the end. They red flagged me to stop, but I stayed on it anyway. I threw it in reverse a couple times trying to get through those last 10'. I wasn't even really beating on my truck that hard (although I was in 4 low, 2nd gear, and holding the throttle on the floorboard) and my right front axle u joint let loose, taking the stub shaft with it.

The crowd loved it. At the end I think they really wanted me to make it, they were cheering for me and then I heard about 1,000 people sigh at one time when the axle u joint let loose.

I really don't give a rats anyway, I've got a spare set of shafts complete and a bunch of extra stub shafts, I just am really shocked that I finally broke it.

Oh well...I'm only gonna fix it this once, (and only because I can do it for free) then it's '60 time!

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifDoncha love that sound..........brmmmmmm brmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm POP CLANK BRMMMmmmmmmmm........ok I'm done /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

apology excepted,LOL

although I never said they are strong I'm gonna run a "little front" with 38's and a locker. I think I took enough weight off the front to make it last a little while, or atleast til I get bored of it and go back to wrenching on my old coupe.LOL

-Jeremy

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Tim,

Looks like it's finally time for the .060" overbore......

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifDoncha love that sound..........brmmmmmm brmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm POP CLANK BRMMMmmmmmmmm........ok I'm done /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it was more like, vrooom miss miss miss (rev limiter) reverse vroom back to forward vrooom then a bunch of cheering and a click. All it did was spit the caps off the stub shaft side...it didn't even break! What a disappointment huh?

I'm so glad my driveshafts stayed together though. That pit yesterday ate a lot of driveshafts, including BOTH of my buddy's on his K20/K30 with 39.5" Boggers. He lost his front one Saturday and his rear one yesterday.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Tim,

[/ QUOTE ]

Screw that, I don't need to make a D60, I got a real one. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Sounds like lack of maint.

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i didnt evne know such races existed in this state,

where is this all at ? and when ?

9. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I wasn't even really beating on my truck that hard (although I was in 4 low, 2nd gear, and holding the throttle on the floorboard)

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

You forgot to add rocking back and forth at full throttle. I'm suprised you didn't blow a torque converter seal at the same time.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like lack of maint.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. New joints.

[ QUOTE ]
    You forgot to add rocking back and forth at full throttle. I'm suprised you didn't blow a torque converter seal at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't at full throttle. I let the clutch out somewhere between 2,000 and 3,000 RPM, then stomped it. I'm not a total idiot.

As to the torque converter seal, what's that? I don't think my truck has one of those in it at all. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Oh yeah, no torque converter to put a seal in. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

11. patrickcampbell

patrickcampbell Registered Member

LOL, you have got a damn quiet truck if u can hear the crowd while in 4 low 2nd gear and full throttle. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

4 low, second gear, wide open= not beating on the truck?

The only time I full throttle is to pass someone on the highway! Then again, I dont mud bog, and now with gas prices....

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    LOL, you have got a damn quiet truck if u can hear the crowd while in 4 low 2nd gear and full throttle. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, straight pipes got old. I grew up a little bit. It's got headers, duals, and 40 series Flowmasters now. It sounds a lot deeper, just quiet. I really like it though.

When I actually heard the crowd cheering was probably when I was clutching and between gears and the RPMs had come down some. At WOT it's got a pretty good growl. I mean, it's not like it was with open headers, 12" packs, or straight pipes, but it's definitely got some serious rumble to it when you stand on it.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    4 low, second gear, wide open= not beating on the truck?

The only time I full throttle is to pass someone on the highway! Then again, I dont mud bog, and now with gas prices....

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not saying that I wasn't beating on it, but I've beat it much harder than that at other times. I think it was just spinning and caught traction all of a sudden and the shock is what shattered that U joint.

Mud bogging is pretty much all about horsepower. You don't make very much HP at 1/2 throttle or 2,000 RPM. You usually have it on the floorboard. I have a 6,000 RPM rev limiter and I was all over that thing last weekend. I'm just glad I've got the limiter...last year I blew my truck up and learned my lesson.

15. o2bjimmy

o2bjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Tim,

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    All it did was spit the caps off the stub shaft side...it didn't even break

[/ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    the shock is what shattered that U joint

[/ QUOTE ]
    So did you break the joint or just spit a cap? You said spit a cap first that is why I brought up maint. Full circle clips would have helped if the yoke bores were still good. If they were loose you could have tacked the caps in. If you broke the joint that is another issue.

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Nope, it just spit the caps off. My shafts are just stock ones, not machined for full circle clips.

I've never tacked a u joint in. I never expected it to break...and I've got a '60 anyway so I don't give a [I love Jeeps].

19. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I wasn't even really beating on my truck that hard (although I was in 4 low, 2nd gear, and holding the throttle on the floorboard)

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I was thinkin the same thing... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

MY TRUCK IS A 4 SPEED!