Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I have to put holes in my NEW doors- please help with mirrors--

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudNurI, Mar 15, 2002.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Okay the time has come- I need to put holes in my new doors. I know what size drill bit I need- its 13/32 for those of you that care. But. my question is this-- do I need to take the glass out of the door before I drill? I will do it if I have to, however I don't want to if not needed. it was a PIA the last time, my arms are too short, and johns hands are to big.. so if you have replaced your doors, and installed your mirrors. please help....and if you have any wonderful advice- let me know. I was planning on having the body shop put the mirrors on- but its illegal here to drive without the drivers side one. so I at least have to get that one put on...and I really dont' want to screw up these doors...big $$ to replace them AGAIN...

thanks guys!
    Brandy

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I have never removed the glass to install mirrors. Either use a short bit, or a self tapping screw. Where my mirrors mount there is no glass anyway....especially if they are rolled up.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well I never have taken the glass out when mounting on a door. On the mirrors that are the newer style (not the old style mirros with three legs) the new style wll mount below the vent wing so no real danger of hitting the glass.
    A trick for not acidently drilling to deep is to cut a sleave of either stiff hose or a peice of pipe just larger than the drill bit. It needs to be short enough so that you can get through the metal but it will keep you from shoving a 4 inch long drill bit into the interrior of the door. If you use a metal pipe the tape a flat washer to the door and drill through the hole so that the pipe will hit the washer and not your paint. Take a little brush and dress the bare metal before installing the rubber thread instert to prevent rust. Let it dry for a couple hours.

4. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Grim,
    What am I "dressing" the bar metal with? just any old primer/paint stuff? or is there something special I need.

I will put something on the drill bit.. to only go so far. I hadn't even though of just leaving the window UP.. LOL oh well, maybe i was blonde in another life..

thanks guys
    --Brandy

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Grim,
    What am I "dressing" the bare metal with? just any old primer/paint stuff? or is there something special I need.

I will put something on the drill bit.. to only go so far. I hadn't even though of just leaving the window UP.. LOL oh well, maybe i was blonde in another life..

thanks guys
    --Brandy

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

mine came with steel nutserts
    I did pull the glass

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Just some paint to seal the metal. Heck testors modle paint will work. Spray some rustolium into the cap and dap it on with a small brush. Primer is porus and moistue can pass through it. An enamal or touch up paint is what you want.

8. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Another trick...bought some NOS mirrors from ebay and it came with a template from uncle gm so you drilled the holes in just the right spot!

Azblazer

9. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

the new mirrors I have, have templetes, its just scary to be putting holes in $400 doors- If I had the appointment for the body shop prior to the end of April I'd just wait- but I can't seem to let it sit in my door yard for another month and a half.... tomorrows the day... I"ll let ya all know how bad it goes!

Brandy