Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I have to Tow the Blazer. I have some questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NateAz87k5, Mar 31, 2002.

1. NateAz87k5

NateAz87k5 Registered Member

This weekend the family went up to Crown King and did a little camping. I decided to go wheeling and the fuel pump went to crap. Not getting any gas to the fuel filter at all. Now I need to tow the Blazer out of Crown King and get it to Phoenix to repair it. What is the best way to tow it back? I was thinging of renting one of those u-haul auto trailers and have some one push the blazer up on it. U-Haul is telling me that the truck is to big but I think that is only due to it being over 4000lbs. Now I have 33" 12.5 BFG's on the truck which I am not sure if this will cause a problem as far as width. I just need some advice on how to get her back home. I was told that it would be $500.00 to use a tow company... god now's I dont have that kind of jack around. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

What about an electric pump from Napa and plumb it into the system.
    That should get it home and then you can drop the tank and replace the one in there.

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

The U-Haul trailers arent wide enough for K5s. Do the pump thing and get it home.

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

The thing that will hinder you the most on the uhaul trailer is the fact that the little tire securing straps on the front wont fit over a 33" tire. If you can get some stock tires to put on the front or else take your own straps, it will work. Just go to a different place this time and tell them you're towing an S10. Should not be a problem, except in the legality of such a thing. The last two cities I've lived in had places that rented 16' utility trailers too for low cost. Not too bad an option, and would fit a truck better than the Uhaul.

How far are you going?

If it has an auto tranny, don't flat tow it over 20 or 30 miles without pulling the driveshaft(s) first. If this becomes an option for you.

Bryan

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I would definitly try and get the electric pump inline and just drive it home. I wouldn't want to tow a K5 on a uhaul trailer down from Crown King. That road is pretty windy.

P.S. I know your trouble. I was down by Bumble Bee, and had my transfer case crossmember shear the piece of frame it bolts to off. My tranny and tcase where hanging half way out of my truck in the middle of nowhere. Good luck

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Or...you could replace the fuel pump in the field...is it the one mounted on the engine?

7. NateAz87k5

how do I set it up with an electric inline fuel pump while the other pump is still in the tank?

8. NateAz87k5

Its not the one located on the engine. That would be to easy. Its an electric fuel pump in the gas tank. The tank has to be removed in order to get to it.

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Try and find a soft fuel line (the closer to the tank the better) and plumb the pump into the line and use hose clamps to secure. Then connect the wireing, and fire it up. If you have to cut a hard line you will probably need a flare tool that way the hose clamps have something to keep them from slipping off when you cut into the line.

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm fairly sure you can add a inline fuel pump without needing to remove the in tank pump. It should draw the fuel through the in tank pump...
    If you have TBI you'll need a pump that will supply between 11 and 13 psi...

Rene

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Fuel injected trucks have the fuel pump in the tank, not on the engine.

12. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

If you back it on, a Ryder or UHaul trailer will work - just secure the straps around the axlehousing instead of the wheels. I towed mine close to 500 miles on a Ryder with no problems.

13. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If it is an automatic just put the transfer case in neutral then you are all set.

14. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

I just rented a U haul trailer three days ago. Pulled my long bed from Florida to Louisiana. It has a 14ff and D60. I had to take the swampers off and 265/75 on chevy steel wheels to trailer it. it had about 2-3 inches extra on each side. I pulled it up really tight with the front of the trailer and then dropped the air pressure down in order to get the straps over the front tires. It worked great but you may want to take some extra chains to clamp the frame or axles down with the frame of teh trailer.

15. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I dont agree. your rear driveshaft is still spinning in the tranny...

16. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I dont agree with that either, because if you put the transfer case in Nutral, the tranny doesnt acutally spin with the transfer case..

In line fuel pump bring a bit of curiosity for me at least.Can an in line fuel pump suck up gas through another fuel pump? i mean, I have a spare pump around, I guess I could test that theory befor eI have to do it for real. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

17. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Yep you're right...i'm thinking all wrong. On a 2wd though, pull the driveshaft...D'oh!!!

18. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You can keep your tranny in park if you want and the truck will still move if the transfer case is in neutral.

19. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Why not buy a fuel pump and drop the tank and replace it and drive it home? We have done it Twice now on the trail...actually in the middle of the trail with Robzilla's 72 with EFI....and..hehehe....Haulgas had to do it way out yonder near Red Creek...

BTW...beer = help. Haulgas and the gang are doin the CC trail this saturday....

Azblazer