Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I have to tow the Burb

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by 89GMCSuburban, Jun 2, 2005.

1. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Anyone know who rents trailers big enough to haul a 6,000 lb, 7'5" Suburban on a one way trip?

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

where is your destination?
    and dont even try u-haul UNLESS you lie to them about the rig goign on the trailer. also, you will have to supply your own tie down straps due to the ones on the trailer not being large enough for much else than a pass. car tire.

im not even sure if the u-haul wil be long enough. might have to flat tow it....
    Grant

3. 89GMCSuburban

Denver, from San Antonio tx

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i think a flat tow would be the best. just going to have to go slow. or see if someone can tow it for you. nobody is going to rent a trailer to you that will fit the burban if they know thats what is going on it, and i dont think anyone has a trailer that is big enough to rent you anyway. hurtz may have one, but you have to use thier trucks with thier trailers....
    Grant

5. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Try an equipment rental place.

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I borrowed my buddies bulldozer trailer to tow my parts burb. The trailer was 16 feet and the burb JUST fit. So don't use anything shorter than a 16 foot trailer.

7. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I can fit a full size long bed pickup on my 16' trailer with only about 2' of the truck bed/bumper overhanging. But it was built for a Jeep so it's a little narrow and I have to drive over the fenders (luckily they were built strong enough). The u-haul trailers would be about the same size but actually a little wider. But I doubt they have axles or tires as big as my trailer.

Flat towing is pretty easy to do, but the tow rig has to be bigger than the burb. Something like a 1 ton dually would be the minimum size in my mind. Then you have to remember you can't backup with a towbar.

8. mudnmyvayne

mudnmyvayne 1/2 ton status

:waytogo: made it through Texas driving it, I hope the rest of the trip was as good.

:whistle: (we spoke at Allsups the other morning)

9. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Just for reference, the uhaul straps will hold down a 33" tire... :D Don't ask :wink1:

10. 89GMCSuburban

Almost made it! Later that morning, in Stratford, the trans took a dump. Left it at Elk Service & Equipment. Johnny put in a fresh rebuild for under $1,000. Not too bad! Made it the rest of the way a week later, had to drive down and pick it up. Got her up here and now she needs a starter. Arrrr! It's cool, though. Totally worth it to have her up here

11. mudnmyvayne

mudnmyvayne 1/2 ton status

That bites,thats one long trip. In a small town like stratford you were lucky to get the tranny rebuild that cheap.