Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I have until 1pm to get my truck going!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ArrowheadK5, Sep 30, 2002.

1. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

My truck won't start and I have class at one... pplease help me out!
    It wouldn't start yesterday morning, but after checking the spark (it was good) we finally started it by holding the throttle wide open and sprayng ether right into the throaght. I ran rough for a minute, but then ran fine.
    As if it had been flooded. But it is fuel injected. So today I went to start it and the same thing. It cranks and cranks but won't fire.
    It is a tbi 350, anybody have any ideas? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif
    Thanks

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Sounds like you are not getting any fuel. Try checking the output of your pump and/or replacing your fuel filter.

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

First off. When you turn the key on, do you hear the fuel pump?

If you do, then try this. This is a MESSY DANGEROUS thing, but get under the truck and unhook the fuel filter. The first thing I would do would be to pull the filter and try and blow through it. It's a crude test, but it might help. Next, have some one REAL QUICK turn the key on with the line unhooked. This will (if the pump and line are good) spray out fuel and lots of it. Shouldn't take long to see whether or not it works. My first bet would be fuel filter (because it's cheap and easy to replace) My second would be pump.

CHANGE THE FILTER FIRST TO SEE IF THAT FIXES IT!

4. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

make sure your not blowing on the filter when they turn they key...

He left that out of his instructions...

5. ArrowheadK5

yes, I do hear the fuel pump running... I always have. What does that mean? And would it still run at all if this was the problem? B/C once we had i going yesterday it ran fine. Could wet/humid weather make this problem worse?
    Thanks for the quik reply... but, oh darn, have to miss my 1 o'clock class /forums/images/icons/wink.gif !!

6. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

If you hear the pump, then it's working and is not neccesarily your problem.

Take the filter OFF /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif then blow through it in the direction of flow /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Havae a friend turn the key on and off while you watch the line FROM A DISTANCE!!!!! If the filter is plugged then it will have some rpetty serious problems running and starting.

7. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

:shakingmyhead: I guess I did leave that out....

I've only drank 87 octane on a few occasions, but only while siphoning, NEVER WHILE CHECKING FOR A WORKING FUEL PUMP /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. ArrowheadK5

Ok, I will try this. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif
    What should I expect when blowing throught the filter? What will it do if it is good/bad?
    Thanks a lot, guys... funny, too... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

You should be able to blow air thruogh it, if not then its cloged up and you should replace it. The amoumt of air you can get through it could be very little as your feul pump can push more then you can blow. So if you find that air can get through it then your problem is farther down the line,

10. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

You should be able to blow through it pretty easy. If you have to labor to blow throw it at all, change it. I'm in the habit of changing mine about twice a year. They are dirt cheap and take around 5 minutes to change.

The fuel pump is gonna ba able to push stuff through it even if it is partially clogged. Generally, if you have to blow hard enough to make your cheeks puff, then that's too hard.