Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I hit a bird

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

So there I was, going East on Lincolnway after getting my paycheck... I'm minding my own business when I come to a railroad bridge... There's a bird in the road, a car next to me, and a cement wall on the other side... I figured the bird would fly away like they always do, but then I realised it was just standing there walking around, so I moved over as much as I could hoping to avoid it, and I looked in my rearview mirror hoping to see it fly away... No such luck... it's now lying upside down on the street, and there's blood on my tire :mad:

What's worse is if I hit it with my tire, then when I swerved to avoid it, I actually swerved and hit it... To oncoming traffic, I probably look like a cold blooded wild animal killer :o

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I got about 7 within the first two weeks after I received my new patrol car last year.

One was a pheasant that hit the corner of the front bumper. No damage, which is different. One guy had to replace a grill awhile back and a trooper had a turn signal light taken out about week after getting the headlight replaced that got broke during a pursuit.

Best one I've gotten so far was the one that hit the bumper, popped up, hit the windshield, then the light bar. :D

Haven't hit any birds in months, usually just a rabbit or two during the night.

3. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

My wife killed a chicken a few weeks ago. Now that I think about it she has killed lots of animals w/ her car. :thinking:

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've had birds bounce off the windsheild running down the back highways exceeding the posted speed limit.

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

oh dear god no! time for a whole new set of tires... :screwy:

dont worry about it, people hit animals all the time. last i knew, almost every animal out there had at least 2 eyes. if they choose not to use them to pay attention to their surroundings, Darwin gets em...

6. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

i hit a bird and ran over the squirel it was chaseing one time. FUN STUFF! :D

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Cool :thumb: :thumb: hope it was a pidgenn you flattened. Damnn flying rats !

You Shodda turned back! Wodda made a good dinner.

8. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Ive managed to have a Hen Pheasant fly up and hit the mirrow on my 16 ton tender truck, that will scared the living hell out of ya, cracked the glass on the back side of the mirrow :crazy:

9. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

my dad hit an egret in my c-10 doing 55, it flew out of the ditch and spider webbed the windshield

[​IMG]

10. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hehe, any of you folks ever seen what a 22 pound wild turkey does to the windshield of a Chevy Lumina?...now there's something that's hard to explain to your best friend's parents.

11. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

I's in my patrol car a few months back on 3rd shift, I's 1/2 asleep just driving around when I caught something out of my periphel vision, about the time i got focused in on it, it hit the winshield, an knocked the mirror in my lap. This all happened in about .3 seconds, so my brain thought the mirror was what ever had just hit my winshield, so After screaming like a little school girl and regainin control of the car i went back to find the body. It was a OWL.

That sure made my butt hole pucker...... :D

12. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You think that maybe the birds have "the jump" timed to the speed limit and stock vehicles.

I seem to hit more in my 'Burb than I ever did in a car. I attribute that to the fact that they have to jump further to miss the truck and the roof rack. The roof rack has turned into a dual purpose tool - tree catcher and bird catcher. THey must think that they have the truck cleared.

13. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

When I was in the Stumps, I hit a Road Runner with my car. It just ran across the road and poof I got it. Looked in the rear view and all I seen was feathers and I just died laughing. I done something that Wiley Coyote couldn't do, I got that blasted road runner............

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I hit a few...

I hit a bird coming up I-81 in bristol TN on my way home from nashville--Ithought it was a rock lying in the road--when it was about 50 ft away,it suddenly flew up,and smacked into the grille on my conversion van--I pulled over to make sure the radiator wasnt leaking--it punched out a peice of the grill,but no radiator damage...and the mourning dove's head was still hanging out of the grill.. :yikes:

Farther up the road in PA,we drove thru a huge swarm of bees!--I thought they were stones hitting my windsheild,sounded like BB's or hailstones!!--a few entered the van via the heater outlet on the floor--almost rolled it before I pulled off the road and killed them!....

Another time in my 72 K5 I hit a huge ST.Bernard on the highway--it was heavy traffic,nowhere to swerve to to miss it--it walked right in front of my truck at 65+ mph--WHUMP!--- :yikes: --I felt bad--but the guy in the subaru who was behind me almost went airborne when he nailed it after I did,and he almost lost control--next day while inspecting my truck for damage,I noticed some blood on the diif cover and what appeared to be brains hanging off the steering stabilizer..:yikes:

I hit a cat with my VW jetta,it ran out into the street from behind a fence--some little kid was chasing it--almost got him too! :mad: --his mother came flying out of the house and grabbed him,and gave him a whipping,for it was the lady's cat across the street he was chasing--of course she witnessed the death of her cat,and I felt terrible,but she didn't blame me for what happenned..she was the nieghborhood "cat lady",and this one was one of 20+strays she befreinded--of course this one was her "favorite"... :frown1:

Around here,I worry more about deer than anything!--just a few nights ago four large does ran right across the street in front of me,only 200 ft from my driveway!!--and they were headed for the highway nearby--I heard the squeal of skidding tires out in that direction as I was walking into the house after parking my truck in the garage--bet somebody either nailed one,or at least had a close call....I hear at least one or two "somebody hit a deer" calls on my police scanner in my town,or the ones nearby... :crazy:

15. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I drove over a rabbit one time in a slammered down Datsun pickup years ago. I don't know how the baby bunny did it but he somehow flattened himself to the ground as the front crossmember of the truck was only like three inches off the ground. I turned around thinkin for sure I had hit it and was gonna either put it out of its' misery or nurse it back to health or somethin but sure enough there it was still settin in the middle of the road. I had to keep nudgin it to get it off the blacktop but once it hit the dirt it took off like a bat outta hell.

A coyote hit my VW bus one time. I had moved way, way over to the left and the stupid dog was eatin somethin in the road and at the last second ran into the passenger side front bumper. Stupid dog.

16. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Oh where to begin on my critter killing exploits in vehicles. I have hit more birds than I could ever remember and I've only been driving for 6 years. I have broken two holes in the grill of our Z71 cause or birds and hit countless others with the windshield and bumper. I've bagged a rabbit too. My uncle hit a buzard one time. It broke off one of his mirrors and he said it threw up all over his truck, ick. One of my friends who drives a comuter bus hit a buzard with a bus and destroyed the windshield. Stupid animals.

17. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I had a friend that was driving and saw a turtle in the road. He swerved over just a bit to try to miss it but not quite enough. His tire just barely hit the edge of the turtle shell and shot that sucker waaaaay off the side of the road like a hockey puck. :haha: