Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I hope nobody else has had this happen to them.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DieselBurb, Feb 6, 2003.

1. DieselBurb

DieselBurb 1/2 ton status

After I picked up my /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif from getting the torque converter replaced (in the 1K mile old tranny!!!!), I had noticed that occasionally, when I would leave a parking lot into traffic, it would kind of slip and then engage. It did it slightly a couple of weeks ago as I was going home for lunch, so I stopped on the feeder road after I crossed over an overpass to see if it would do it again. I was at a complete stop and stepped on it like I was getting into traffic from a parking lot. The engine revved hard and I heard a LOUD pop followed by a bunch of smaller pops /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif. It wouldn't move under its own power so I thought I had busted a u-joint until I looked under the truck and saw that it had puked its guts all over the ground (well all of its fluid). I hoofed it back to the guard shack at work ( about a half mile and across 4 lanes of interstate traffic) and called my wife to come tow me home so a tow truck could come get it (I need to take all of my junk out). I looked underneath it at home and saw that the transmission case had grenaded /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. There was a crack about 3/4 to 1 inch wide at the top just in front of where the transfer case adapter bolts up (I should have got pictures - I'll get them when I get the truck back). I could see all of the entrails (gears. )The output shaft also twisted in two leaving half of it in the transfer case /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. It is all covered under the warranty. I guess now I get a "new" tranny instead of a rebuilt one and a fresh t-case .

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Every tranny guy I have ever talked to says you cant just replace the converter when one goes bad. They normally spread metal and debris all through the tranny when they go.

3. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Just reinforces my thinking that you should never take your vehicle to a shop unless you really know them well.

4. DieselBurb

No, I didn't know him since I am not from the area originally. I had a convertor go bad once before and was told that the tranny needed a rebuild. I made double sure that the tranny was okay after the convertor went bad and he said that it checked out okay. I am not gullible, in case you were wondering.

5. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I actually had the same thing happen to me only it didn't wait until I was off the highway; the tranny dopped into 3rd and then grenaded at 60mph /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif. When I finally skidded to a stop, there was fluid spraying everywhere. That was with a 24000# GVW cooler in a tranny that had 300 miles on it, seemed kinda odd that it would overheat going 60mph with 35''s and 4.56 gears /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif When we took the pan off, everything fell to the floor including pieces of the main shaft /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. That tranny was rebuilt and installed by a local shop (cheapest in town) got a GM certa tranny and haven't had a problem since /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. DieselBurb

Here are pics of mine:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After much deliberation with the owner of the shop, they are going to replace the TH400 with a 700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif and, due to damage as a result of the transmission, they are putting in a new t-case /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

7. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

YIKES!! that is some quality carnage! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Damn, that sucks...my friend cracked the casing on his 700 in a Z28 last summer, no idea how it happened though

9. K05Aggie

K05Aggie 1/2 ton status

This summer the case on my 700R4 cracked due to the vibration caused by the transfer case mainshaft being bent.

10. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    YIKES!! that is some quality carnage!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ummm YEAH!
    DAMN!

11. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Thats one way to kill a tranny!

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

12. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

WOW! Thats one hell of a break!

Hey 90k5, was your buddies Z an 82 up car? If it was, the torque arm is most likely what did it. Good idea on GMs part but a TERRIBLE execution.

13. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    they are going to replace the TH400 with a 700R4

[/ QUOTE ]
    Are you looking for more milage or strength out of this deal?

if I"m not mistaken the 400 is a lot stronger tranny than the 700 or the 350

14. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

If they replace it with a 700r4 see if they can put an 89 or later. You will usually get a lot more life out of them. Yes the 400 is stronger, but the 700r4 has that nice overdrive and low end first gear. They can be built strong if they're done right.

15. DieselBurb

As it turns out, they a found a 4x4 case to build /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. I was looking forward to having the OD. Oh, well, I guess the TH400 is a better tranny for the application.

LKJR, what do you do around Lubbock? I grew up there and went to Tech. I moved around 4 years ago to get a better paying job. They don't call it Low-Bucks for nothing.

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

16. Why me?

Why me? Registered Member

Shouldn"t play "Dukes of Hazard" with a K-5!

17. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Basicaly just go to school, beg for money, and run around chasing sorority girls with my best horndog impression...LOL...stupid hitches anyway.

I'm going to Tech working on a dbl masters in Architecture and Business. Living on this little island in a sea of dirt.