Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I just bought a beater blazer. Yay!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by josh86k10, Sep 29, 2005.

1. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

Well, I had been looking for a decent 350 to replace my tired 305, when I found this $500 beauty. The new plan is to swap motors around with my truck (there's nothing wrong with the 305, it's just not hardly up to pushing 40's), throw my old detroit locked 4.10 geared 10-bolts under it (been sitting in the shop since the D60/ 14FF swap), hog the fenders out, throw some 35's on it and beat the pi$$ out of it! Yay!

So, on to the questions:

- Since this is going to be trail only, what would be wrong with flipping the tie rod over (stabilizer hole on the passenger side), bolting on a 2wd steering box, and fabricating a drag link that goes to the hole for an inverted T "crossover" steering setup? I've heard of jeep guys doing it with transplanted 10 bolts, but never on a blazer. I'm sure there's a good reason why not, I just don't know it yet. Would it hit the leafs or something? I figured that way I might could throw on some 52's without spending much on crossover. Driveshafts will be square tube.

-Any suggestions on other really cheap mods to build a mean budget beater?

What do yall think, is it worth $500? :D

[​IMG]

"Black with a small block 350, edelbrock carb and air filter, just put in a new 400 turbo tranny, stock axles, 33" tires, lockout hubs, the engine is really nice, along with the interior and aftermarket captain chairs up front. No rear glass and some rust as expected."- from for sale thread

Last edited: Sep 29, 2005
  2. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

That doesn't look like a beater at all. Mine is in alot worse shape than that.

3. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

YET :wink1:

4. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

5. HELLBENT DESIGNS

HELLBENT DESIGNS 1/2 ton status

6. 350k5

350k5 1/2 ton status

Sweet, that thing looks a lot nice than mine when i first got it. Nice find. :bow:

7. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

How big of tire do you think I could stuff with no lift and lots-o- :hack: :grind: ? I'll probably end up with 52's or a 4" lift but I'm checking out all my options first. Now that I've got a money pit on 40's and a ton drivetrain, I realize the most fun to be had is in a $500 beater, plus I needed a home for my old polished turds... I mean 10-bolts :D ! Is there a way to effectively run 52's w/o spending money on a proper crossover setup :thinking: ? Will an Inverted T work :confused: ?

8. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

ur rims

are those the factory chevy aluminum rims on that thing?

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If I remember correct, someone on here is running 42's on a 2.5" lift with fender trimming.

10. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

Someones got a pic that illustrates why the jeep type crossover won't work on a chevy. (spring over vs. spring under on the jeep) But the pic is trying to connect both the draglink and the tierod on the pass side knuckle. There may be enough room to hook it to the stabilizer mount, I'm not sure.

11. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Yep, my 89 came with wheels just like that.

Actually they look wider, mine were only 7" wide.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2005
  12. socal chevy

socal chevy 1/2 ton status

make sure the damn engine is running good... You dont want it to crap out on you right away..

13. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

I believe your passenger side spring will be in the way of doing an inverted T.

14. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

what if you do it with a bent drag link?

15. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Congratulations, there is nothing like a beater to have fun with. I picked up an 83 K5 for $800 and spend $300 on a 4" lift, $250 on a set of used 35" MTRs, then welded the front and rear diffs., finally I took out all the carpet, took of the tailgate and the hard top and went wheeling. Since I don't care about body damage I go places that people keep telling I won't be able to go. I have more fun with this piece of junk than I do with my other truck which has a 454, 3/4 ton diffs. and 37" tires, mainly because I don't want to mess up the body on my "good" truck too much.

16. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

They look more like mickey tompsons to me.

17. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

Well, I got it home Saturday night. It's gonna take some tinkering but it should be fun. It's got a 350/400/203 (which is great because after I'm done beating on it, I'll have the front half of a doubler for my truck :saweet: ) It's a little more rusty than it looks in the picture, but nothing a sawzall can't fix :D . I'm thinking about boatsiding it :dunno: , should get rid of a lot of the rust. The tail gate has bright red racing stripes :haha: . It even has a sunroof. Its missing both driveshafts (will get new square ones), the kid lost the torque conveter bolts in the tranny swap (no big deal), it needs a throttle bracket (the kid lost that too, another couple of bucks), and the brakes are horrible, but once I replace the axles with my old ones, about all that's left is the master cylinder so that shouldn't be too bad to fix (they may just need bleeding :dunno: ). Should be another exciting adventure. I love junk :D .

Oh, and the wheels have American Racing center caps, though that doesn't necessarily mean anything. They look just like my old Mickey Thompsons.