Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I just bought my 87 K5 Blazer...

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Feb 23, 2001.

Now what is the first thing to do? It already has 8 lug axles, 3.73's front & rear, 6" suspension lift, 3" body lift, 39" mudders, a 454, 205 xfer case, and a great body. Where do I go from here? I really want to be able to take this poor thing to any trail and not have to worry about needing help getting out... performance and safty before looks too, I want this thing to rock before I dress it up! Suggestions anyone?

1. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

It sounds like you already have a good trail truck there. What kind of suspension lift does it have? .......... Blocks, New Hanger, Springs?

I would check the differentials and see if they are open or not. If they are, you should consider some kind of locker.

Other than that, a winch can be your best friend when tackling those not so "K5 friendly" trails [​IMG]

Congrats on your new ride!

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com>http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com</A>

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

First register with the site! The guys in here know their sh!t so if you register it makes it easier for them to respond. Second with that tall of a tire I would go with 4:88 gears you will notice one hell of a difference with them. LOL

Happy Trails
    Wayne

3. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I'd say go with a winch (might wanna try the new m15000 winch from warn), lower gears (5.13), Detroit locker or maybe an ARB locker if you don't have any yet, a full cage, bumpers,and body protection. if you do any rock crawling or some trails, you might wanna get rid of the 3 inch body lift and get a new 8 or 10 inch suspension lift.
    Thats about all what i could think of now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]K5[​IMG]

4. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

DONE! This site seems like a great resource for Off-raod info! Can't wait to get this new truck out on the trails!

I planned on removing the body lift, after getting smaller tires (35"). However, then I expect to have to purchase a new steering shaft, as this one has already been modified for the body lift. I saw one at Summit for ~$200! That sounds pricy to me for a steering shaft!???

I would love to throw new bumpers and some other misc body armor on this truck, but I have yet to find any that have really caught my eye... Ideas?

Thx again all!

5. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

How bout <A target="_blank" HREF=http://coloradok5.com/vendors/sec.html>http://coloradok5.com/vendors/sec.html</A>?
    I have never tried them but people say they are great.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]K5[​IMG]

6. My ideas, give what you have:
    remove body lift, drop to 1" or max 2"
    cut fenders to fit tires, unless you're looking to go with a more highway friendly tire, then cut more moderately.
    If you have a D44, go to smaller tires for sure, maybe 37's?
    Fix gearing. If you have a th700, you need really deep gears, like 4.88's or 5.13's. If you have a 1:1 high gear, then look to 4.10's maybe. Or if your motor will pull it on the street, leave the 3.73's and go to a Doubler for off road gearing.
    Protect the body. Maybe we'll get some bumpers and nerfs out to help you here.
    Winch
    Locker for the rear
    Beef up parts, steering box brace, HD shackles, swaybar disconnects, etc. address the lift type, you may want to substitute a flip kit for a block if you have them.
    MAKE IT MECHANICALLY SOUND!!!! Nobody likes being out with a truck that's not reliable.
    Then spend money on gas. driving experience will get you farther than any more parts once you have the "advanced basics"
    Good luck, and welcome to the K5 world!