Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I just completed my first K5 project...

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Greg72, May 24, 2001.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Just wanted to share my victory with the list....I replaced the drag linik ends on my '72 K5 in an attempt to reduce some of the steering slop that I had.

The story goes like so many others that you read here.....lots of penetrating oil, a few curse words, and the parts finally come apart.....unscrew the old parts....clean up the parts that will be re-used, install new end pieces and re-assemble. Pretty Simple! [​IMG]

I needed a "confidence builder" with my new K5, so I thought this would be better that diving straight for the ball joint replacement project. The new ride is SO much better I can't believe that all I have done is drag link ends.

The truck used to really wander all over the road, especially on the highway. Now it is solid, and the steering wheel feels 'stiffer' and less likely to be bounced around. Also, over bumps the truck (though still stiff) now behaves much better and doesn't try to drive me off the road, or go into uncontrolled oscillations for 5 seconds before calming down.

The point to all of this is: if you have strange steering behavior with your truck....start by checking the simple things before assuming it's a steering box problem....Remember these trucks are 30 years old, and unless your front end has been recently rebuilt.....there are lots of things that could be causing weird handling.

Personally, I think I'm going to start with the least expensive, and most accessible parts first (tie rod ends are next!) and then work my way to the ball-joints as my experience and confidence builds.

Thanks for listening......I enjoy the support of the list, even for the little victories! [​IMG]

-Greg72

2. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Congratulations! Good manners in a Blazer make it really nice to drive.

3. MikeS

MikeS Registered Member

Congrats. If you're like the rest of us, there will be a whole lot more Blazer-related projects in your future. I learn a little bit more with each one I do. I think Burt4X4 is my hero though when it comes to pushing the limits of one's mechanic skills.....changing gears is just about the only thing I refuse to go near!

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Good Job Dude!
    Hey thanks Mike. Ya know I was very nervous about doing it and well I guess I still am cuz I haven't finninshed yet so don't even know if my work is gonna work??[​IMG].....
    But all and all I am glad I did it. Allot of time is needed to do this by yourself(work & family tend to get in the way of working straight thru tell it is done) I am on week 3 and hope to have the job completed by tomorrow.[​IMG]
    THEN I will drive it and hope like hell everything spins the way it is suppose to[​IMG]

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

5. Steve_Chin

Steve, whatchoo changing your gears to? I'm going to put 3.73:1 cogs in my axles, but that's a ways off still.

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hey Mr.Chin quack quack! Getting closer[​IMG]
    I put in 4.09 up front and 4.11 rear. Almost got it done just need another hour or so gettin the breaks back on and other stuff.[​IMG] I put a Power-Lock up front too[​IMG]

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

7. Steve_Chin

Cool! Let us know how that Power-Lock works out.

8. cameronsaddress

cameronsaddress 1/2 ton status

Hey Greg,
    I'm about where you were in 2001 ;)

What drag link ends did you go with? I'm having trouble finding something on summit. They all show up as tie rod ends. They are different, right?

Think you can shoot a link to the correct part?

Thanks a bunch!

Cam

9. Z71paramedic

Z71paramedic Wait....What??? Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Wow, 11 year zombie thread!!!!:eek::zombie18::zombie11::zombie15:

Call up ORD, they'll get you the right stuff:thumb:

10. cameronsaddress

11. Z71paramedic

Just bustin your balls man, no worries:haha:

I would just go to napa or autozone and get them there if you have stock stuff on there. Just grab the new one and compare it to the one that's on there. I assume you have factory push-pull steering with a drop pitman arm and maybe block under the steering arm on the knuckle right? If so then the drag link will probably be stock. Only get the sleeve if it's too rusty to get loose or looks fatigued. Otherwise you should be good to go man. I expect each end is maybe $20.

12. cameronsaddress

Awesome. Thanks man

13. Z71paramedic

No worries dude. FYI Moog is pretty much the best brand of suspension/steering parts you can get, so I'd go with that if you can. :waytogo: