Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I just drove home a $900 dream truck... good story [now with PICS]

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steelsoldiers, Mar 24, 2004.

1. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

I got home from a wild adventure about an hour ago. As you can see from my other post, the 6.2L diesel in my '84 took a serious dump on me. I found a running driving parts truck in the ad bulletin yesterday and went and checked it out today after work. It's a 1982 K20 4x4 with a 6.2L, some sort of OD manual tranny, a NP208, a 14BFF, and a 8 lug 10B front. I drove it around on the guy's road a little and it seemed to run real good. It has some serious body cancer, but it's complete and has some good parts on it. The 6.2L is a Jasper rebuild with around 5k miles on it according to the preacher that the seller got it off of. There is no way to know for sure though. It does have the Jasper tags on it which says who tested it and that it dyno'ed 150hp, woo-hoo what a monster!! Any who. He was asking $1000 and I got it for $900. That included a complete running truck and a spare SM465/NP208 in the bed along with a tool box, a logging chain, and a flat spare tire /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. The wiring is all jacked up, but that doesn't matter because I'm just going to yank the engine out and the axles. The trip home was fairly uneventful except the starter is screwed up and if I stalled somewhere I would have to bump start it. I left it running when I stopped to air the tires up and when I hosed 40lbs of mud off at the $.25 carwash. On the way to the house I was pulling up a long hill when it just died. Crap, I immediately suspected the wiring. I popped the hood and ripped some crap out and then twisted it back together and she started with a good reverse bump. I pulled away in 1st and the tranny and tcase slid out of the bed and hit the road, SH!T /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I don't know how heavy that is but it felt good on my back when I hoisted it back in the bed. No, it wasn't tied down and no the tailgate wouldn't stay closed /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I got her going again and the rest of the trip was just fine. I'll post some pics for your enjoyment tomorrow when it's daylight /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif By the way, my wife was with me and she approved the purchase /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif how cool is that /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif?

She's a beaut' right? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: I just drove home a $900 dream truck... good story

My girlfriend was with me when we went and bought the K30, she enjoyed it as well. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

ahhhhh adventures in chevydom.... how fun!!!!

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Sounds like a good deal. I dislike body cancer though /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. steelsoldiers

Yeah I better not park it next to my K5 becuase it might spread. Oh wait, never mind, the cancer already ate my rockers and parts of my floor /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

6. steelsoldiers

Update: I went out in the light this morning and checked everything out. There was not one drop of oil on the ground /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif under the engine. Yes, the engine had oil in it /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I checked the SM465/NP208 for damage after they jumped out of the truck and it looks like they landed on the 208's tailshaft. There was a little blacktop stuck to the splines, but other than that they looked OK. Now I just need to make up my mind if I am going to do the auto to manual swap. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Since that's a 32 spline combo, wait until you can find an 85-91 fixed yoke 32 spline NP 205 and hydro clutch so you'll have the ultimate 4 speed combo. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. steelsoldiers

I like the way you think Tim. That sounds like just the combo I need. Now, here comes another question for you. If I wait on the manual swap, can I just unbolt the current flywheel and bolt my flexplate up to keep using my TH400? I don't think there are any other differences. Oh, and what's up with that 4sp w/OD tranny? Is it a weak POS? It has this weird little shifter that's too close to the bench seat and the shift pattern is strange too. Reverse is up and to the left, WTF? The tranny sounded pretty rough going down the road yesterday, real nasty in OD. Course it was hard to hear it over the roaring diesel and the squalling of several loose fan belts /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh, and what's up with that 4sp w/OD tranny? Is it a weak POS? It has this weird little shifter that's too close to the bench seat and the shift pattern is strange too. Reverse is up and to the left, WTF? The tranny sounded pretty rough going down the road yesterday, real nasty in OD. Course it was hard to hear it over the roaring diesel and the squalling of several loose fan belts

[/ QUOTE ]

Weak POS tranny...prolly why it came witha 465/208 spare. FWIW that combo weighs in at about 250-275 lbs...how is your back today? /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

You'll need to remove the flywheel and bolt up the flex plate to hook that motor up to your K5. I think you could leave the pilot bearing in the back of the crank...

Rene

10. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Can you say score! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    Bill

11. 4x4mike

4x4mike Registered Member

Sweet deal. I wish my girl friend would go with me on scavenger hunts.

12. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

An easy way to get the pilot bearing out is to find a bolt that slides in the hole. Wrap the bolt with duct tape until its a tight fit. Fill the inside of the hole up with grease. Put the bolt in the hole and hit it with a hammer. The pilot bearing will pop right out if you do it right. If not, you will have to do it several times but it will come out. This is a neat little trick an old mechanic showed me once when I didn't have the right tool to do the job.

13. steelsoldiers

[ QUOTE ]
    465/208 spare. FWIW that combo weighs in at about 250-275 lbs...how is your back today? /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

You'll need to remove the flywheel and bolt up the flex plate to hook that motor up to your K5. I think you could leave the pilot bearing in the back of the crank...

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

The back is a little tight /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I told my wife it's a good thing I work out. I actually just did dead lifts the day before so I was already sore. Tranny/t-case lifts SUCK! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Of course the tcase still had ATF in it so that sh!t starts pouring out and I about busted my skull slipping around in it. I did throw some dirt on it after I left to make sure I didn't cause any wrecks.

Thanks for the info on the flexplate Rene. I'm going to try and get the starter fixed tonight so I won't have to bump it any more. POS /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. steelsoldiers

[ QUOTE ]
    An easy way to get the pilot bearing out is to find a bolt that slides in the hole. Wrap the bolt with duct take until its a tight fit. Fill the inside of the hole up with grease. Put the bolt in the hole and hit it with a hammer. The pilot bearing will pop right out if you do it right. If not, you will have to do it several times but it will come out. This is a neat little trick an old mechanic showed me once when I didn't have the right tool to do the job.

[/ QUOTE ] Now that's a cool trick /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif. I love hanging around the garages and talking to the old timers.

15. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

That is the first time I have ever mentioned that tid-bit to anyone. I have been waiting for years for the right time to show some one and the opprotunity hasn't ever come up. I figured I would share it before I forgot it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Weak POS tranny...prolly why it came witha 465/208 spare. FWIW that combo weighs in at about 250-275 lbs...how is your back today? /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

WHOA! I knew it probably weighed more than me when I bench pressed them up into my truck while replacing the clutch. I was in the street next to my old house at the time.

But 250-275 lbs?! You sure? I'm just this scrawny, lanky 145 lbs guy. Ofcourse, it did take me all day to do. Especially when all I had was a jackstand and a handfull of wrenches at the time.... and that new clutch only lasted about a month before it went out too.... probably because of my lame, in the street, install job /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

I did the second clutch much better. In a garage. With better tools.... and in a garage.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Lesson learned, right?

17. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Without a bellhousing the 465 weighs 175 lbs. adaptor has got to be 10-20 lbs and the 208 with fluid in it comes in around 60-80 lbs.

I tried that trick with the grease and a snug dowel on my old pilot bearing and it didn't work. The pilot bearing I was trying to remove was already busted up though...I guess the guy killed it removing either the motor from the truck or more likely the jack slipped from under the tranny when it was being removed.

Rene

18. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Yeah, I know a 465/205 weighs in damn near 400, so... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

19. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    The 6.2L is a Jasper rebuild with around 5k miles on it according to the preacher that the seller got it off of.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Did the seller appear wary of a lightning strike coming out of the blue as he conveyed this story? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

20. steelsoldiers

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    The 6.2L is a Jasper rebuild with around 5k miles on it according to the preacher that the seller got it off of.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Did the seller appear wary of a lightning strike coming out of the blue as he conveyed this story? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gifHe did seem pretty skittish and anxious for me to get on the road. I think I passed a cloud of locusts on the way home from his house /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I worked on the starter for a while today to see why it was making all the racket. It turns out that some dumbass let the rear support get loose allowing the starter to kick and then break one of the front bolts off in the block /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif That should be a real bitch to get out. Maybe if it's not too stuck in there an EZ-out could get it. That'll be a real pain drilling the hole upside down under the truck /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif