Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I just found a REALLY old suburban

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by BayouBlazer88, Jan 19, 2004.

1. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

Today I went clay pigeon shooting with some friends, one of which owns the 175 acres we were shooting on. Behind the small wooden house in the front of the property is an old shed just big enough to house a truck and inside was a very old suburban which belongs to my friend's uncle. We're talking either 30's or 40's. It only has 2 side doors and no side rear windows. The rear doors are the ambulance style doors. It's in pretty bad shape. All of the front fenders are off and sitting in the cab (there is no body until the firewall). There are no seats. All the windows are cracked. It has a SBC motor in it, but not sure what displacement. You can tell someone started a restoration on it because the motor has rusted headers, some once chrome valve covers, and a rusted out 4-barrel carb. Body and frame is pretty straight and rust free for the most part though. Anyway, my buddy said the burban has been sitting in that shed for at least 15 years. I've got a place to store something like this at my uncle's shop so what do you think something like this would go for? I know it's pretty rare but I doubt the owner has any intentions of messing with it anytime soon. And I would love to restore something like this or at least store it in a safe place until I have the money. So what do you think, should I try and get it? Anybody try to restore something like this lately?

2. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Thats cool to find something like that. I'd try and pick it up if I were you. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Sure its not an old panel wagon?

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yes it might be a panel wagon my uncle has a 44 panel wagon think is sweet if it wasn't so damn rusty /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. BayouBlazer88

[ QUOTE ]
    Sure its not an old panel wagon?

[/ QUOTE ]

-I don't have a clue. I'm not too familiar with vehicles that are this old but whatever it is, it's sweet and has lots of potential. Whats the difference between a suburban and a panel wagon? Is a suburban on a truck chassis and a wagon on a car chassis? If so, my guess is burban. Oh and I messed up on the engine. It's not a small block, it's a big block, not sure what displacement (If I had to guess I'd say 454). Seriously doubt it's even close to the original motor. Anyway, whatever is, I still want it.

6. BowtieBlazer

Could be a 400 or a 327, probably way cool regardless

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Whats the difference between a suburban and a panel wagon? Is a suburban on a truck chassis and a wagon on a car chassis? If so, my guess is burban.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Suburban has windows for the back seat passengers. Panels do not. Both are truck chassis.

Here's a link to lots of old Burbs ( & panels)

http://www.classictruckshop.com/clubs/earlyburbs/members/gallery.htm

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

......this thread is worthless without pics.....

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. BayouBlazer88

I'll try to take some pics with my digital camera and have them on here within a week. Keep in mind it's stuck in a shed and there are no front fenders so the camera angles won't be that great but at least this way someone can maybe tell me what year it is.

By the way, after reading that link I found out that it IS a panel truck but still uncertain as to what decade it's from. After seeing some of the pics from that site, my guess would be early 50's.

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    ......this thread is worthless without pics.....

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok Uhhh I think (not positive)this is Steve's Brothers burb.
    [​IMG]
    http://my.execpc.com/~jfox/personaltrucks.html
    http://www.classictruckshop.com/clubs/earlyburbs/members/gallery3/321/display.htm
    http://www.classictruckshop.com/clubs/earlyburbs/history.htm Here is the history page. that tells about the Suburban Carry all. They stopped building windowless "Pannels" in 69. They were sold as a mid sized delivery van for using in the city as well as work trucks. Suburband did not have rear passenger doors till 1967. Then they only had one on the passenger side. 73 was the first year burbs got 4 door.

Just about all the 67-72's on that page hang out at 67-72. The really nich white one on page three is GMCJunkie's. She has the barn doors off my old 70 and was going to put them on her burb.

11. BowtieBlazer

Matt:

Are you serious about building this thing up? Let me know I have the 2wd 465 and pedals and linkages if you are interested. I will probably hang onto the tranny and accessories regardless as my next 2wd project will probably get it if "Brownie" doesn't.

12. BayouBlazer88

..sent you a PM

13. BowtieBlazer

Back at ya... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

If you want to get more info on it check out The Stovebolt Page for old Chevy/GMC Truck info.