Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I JUST FOUND THE BEST MAGAZINE!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by OrangeCrushK10, Nov 20, 2003.

1. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

It's called "4x4 Garage" and is brand new. The best part is it has great building tips for our trucks! It's almost completely about the K5 type vehicles!

It has sections telling about the different types of Transfer Cases, Trannies, Engines, Diff's and they all come with pictures! Great for learning how to identify.

The part that really sold me was the "How to make your NP205 into a Twin-stick Transfer Case". Really nifty!

If you can find it, GET AN ISSUE! I found mine at Barnes & Noble. Definetly looks like a magazine centered at people like us!

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Thats old news. Matter of fact, that mag is just a compilation of previous issues of 4 Wheel & Off Road or Four Wheeler magazine with specific articles taken out and printed into one magazine, hence your newly found "4x4 Garage."

How about this for an eye opener: I've got every issue of 4 Wheel & Off Road, PLUS, Four Wheeler magazine since May of 1985. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Thats old news. Matter of fact, that mag is just a compilation of previous issues of 4 Wheel & Off Road or Four Wheeler magazine with specific articles taken out and printed into one magazine, hence your newly found "4x4 Garage."

How about this for an eye opener: I've got every issue of 4 Wheel & Off Road, PLUS, Four Wheeler magazine since May of 1985. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention every issue of "PlayBaa" since 1978 /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Not to mention every issue of "PlayBaa" since 1978

[/ QUOTE ] Only availible in Oklahoma /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

While I agree that there are some good tech pieces in 4X4Garage, the bottom line is this: When they made their list of the Top 10 Best 4x4 Buys, they included the Ramcharger (nothing against the Dodge, just using it as a point of reference) and lumped K5's in with pickups, and only included through 87. Lost a lot of my taste for that "new" mag right there. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

6. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

yea i picked that up today. I like it.

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

The twinstick article was in 4x4Power (no longer in print) a few years ago. If you do a search on here you will find it. Just in case you loose the mag, spill gear oil on it, or what ever, at least you know its floating around. There were at least two posts on the mag when it 1st hit the newsstands, I wonder if it will make the cut and go into normal production. The only real problem is w/ Primedia owning both the top 4x4 rags they seem to endup coping one another. They also own this title, so don't exepct anything ground breaking.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

is this even gonna be a monthly mag? i didnt read it cover to cover when i was at walmart checking it out... but I didnt see anything to indicate that it was...

j

9. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

I posted about this a while back, the Blue Blazer that is getting the D60 swap at the end of the mag is the Blazer from Petersons 4WOR /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

10. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i had a subscription since 77 or 78 (remember "pickup, van and 4wd") and when i joined the army in 89 i asked my parents not to throw them away, sure enough; next time i came home, they had threw them away /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif (trying to dissuade my obssession with this hobby) i still have a few survivors and look at the ads in them to see how much has changed, even have one with an ad for a scout II, "anything less is just a car"

11. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

[ QUOTE ]
    Not to mention every issue of "PlayBaa" since 1978

[/ QUOTE ]

He was just helping that poor little ewe over the fence...

12. bnc04

bnc04 Guest

I bought it as well, When I got home and was reading it in "my office" I thought things looked familiar,, ( The bronco on a tow truck) /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif.... I Just happened to be recently reviewing an older issue that had 88-98 chevy engine uogrades and noticed the truck challange article is the same as what was run in Dec 2000.. Pretty much copy/pasted.
    Still not a bad mag,, But because it is a culmination of past articals, I doubt it will be a monthly thing,,

13. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I saw that rag at the sore the other day, I looked interesting, I flipped through it and said, seen it, read it, read it twice, seen it too many times, did it, and thought this one isn't for me. I guess it isn't for those of us with a stock pile of 4x4 rags. But great for the new guy needing a lot of info in one place. Heck I even have every 4Wheel & Offroad since June '95 and I am only 20 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Yes I have been reading that rag since I was 13, still don't have a playboy but who needs it when you can strip your truck. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Just my feelin's though

14. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i had a subscription since 77 or 78 (remember "pickup, van and 4wd") and when i joined the army in 89 i asked my parents not to throw them away, sure enough; next time i came home, they had threw them away /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif (trying to dissuade my obssession with this hobby) i still have a few survivors and look at the ads in them to see how much has changed, even have one with an ad for a scout II, "anything less is just a car"

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I remember you mentioning that once before. I would have killed my folks dogs or cats if they did that to my collection. Afterall, if I can't have my mags, they can't have their pet. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

15. stu454

stu454 1/2 ton status

"...But great for the new guy needing a lot of info in one place..."

Yup, that's me! 4x4 Garage was very handy for me, since I'm still a bit of an FNG.

16. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

yea... I like it too beacuse it teaches you how to do stuff insted of just showing you whats been done

17. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

my uncle has every issue of playboy since 1963,to date. he also has a 65 mustang he baught new,all original except the rollcage,built 289,and rear gear. my cousin want's the playboy's,theyare probably worth equal amount's. hell i want them both /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif