Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I Just Got My Blazer!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BranndonC, Apr 26, 2002.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

Hey everybody, I finally got a blazer after many months of looking! It is awesome. It's a 1989 K5 with a six inch lift with 35's on it. The day i got it home, i ripped the interior out and am in the process of replacing it. I have installed a killer audio system in it. The system pounds very hard. I am thinking of getting a cowl hood, and a fresh paint job, there are a few scratches in the paint that are kinda rusted. Also the hood paint is chipping.

I have many questions from here.... Is it stupid of me to try and make this truck fast? I mean, won't beefing up the engine or gears or whatever just put more strain on the rest of the parts (u joints, drive shaft etc...) I know nothing about motors, trucks, or fixing them. Thanks everyone
    http://www.harrispools.com/Branndon/Blazer.Htm

2. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

that thing looks good...now go out and get it dirty...

Later

3. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

You don't want fast..You want low end power... Think twice about a cowl hood.. You lose a lot of visibality...Dan

4. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

its all about what you are into...if you are into goin fast...put that thing up for sale right now....you are in the wrong type of vehical...like dan said the cowl hood may not be a good idea if you plan on wheelin it...from the looks of the pics you got a very nice rig...if its runnin good i would just leave it at that for now and work on other issues...like gettin rid of thos a/t tires...thos are junk for off road (that is if you are goin to wheel is)..if its goin to be a street machine then by all means stay with the A/T's alot less road noise and lasts a bit longer..just have fun with it...you are on the first step to a long lasting addiction!

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd say the best thing you could do to it at this point is nothing. Spend some time here learning about what you have and deciding how you want to use it.

As for making it fast...you could get some "Naawwwsss" and a few stickers, and live 18 seconds at a time/forums/images/icons/wink.gif Seriously it's a 5000 lb lifted truck with the same aerodynamic properties of an office tower...build it tough and enjoy taking it places you'd never think a truck could go.

Rene

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

ok, i won't beef it up for speed, but i'm afraid to go of roading because if i break anything, i don't know the first thing about fixing it and don't really have a large bank account to fix it with, that is the only reason i don't off road. i love the truck. Also can everyone please tell me what i have as far as spension, or anything else? Can you tell gears by pics? Thanks

7. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

have the axles been worked on or are they all original? if they havent been changed then you can look in the glove box and post your codes here(theyll be the ones that start with a g) and one of us can tell you your gearset. suspension wise youd have to take a better/closer picture before we could even guess what kind of springs they are...

if you havent noticed already this place is full of people that love to do nothing more than talk about their and others trucks/blazers...look around through some profiles and you can find some guys off the site in your area...hook up with them to go wheeling so they can show you the ropes. If nothing else they can help you when and if you break something.

Later

8. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Cant tell the suspension lift brand by looking at it. And cant tell the gears by pictures either.

I would do like every says. Just enjoy it. You can take it wheeling and not break. 35s and AT tires are real easy on parts. Just take it through mild stuff.. have some fun. And upgrade when the pocket book allows.

Ken H.

9. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Get involved with the So Cal club..........check out their club board on the regional board. They are VERY knowledgeable............and just keep reading, reading, reading...........good luck.

10. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Branndon

I have a stock K5 and I take mine wheeling. What I usually go by is if I don't think I can't make it or it looks to hairy for my stock K5, then I don't even attempt it. That's just the way I wheel, others do it differently. I am real easy on the skinny pedal and let the t-case do what is its supposed to, put it in 4-low and ease the throttle. But again that's just me I don't get reckless when wheeling. Just my 2 cent of course.

Ross

11. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> Nice Blazer ! What's with the picture you have with all those Blazers ?

12. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Branndon,

Come out and wheel with us. Most of the trails that we do have easier bypasses that you can take. Your better setup than I was a year ago when I went on my first trail run with this group. I only had 2.5" lift and 33 A/T's. My entire buidup has happened over the past year and now I'm set-up to take on most of the trails around here. BUT I wouldn't have known the first thing about what to do with my truck without going on run's with this group and seeing what works on other people's rigs. IF you break something,(notice I said IF) there are plenty of us around you that will be more than happy to help you out. Get your interior back in and wheel it. THEN see what, if anything, you want to upgrade.