Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I just had 512 MB DDR go BAD!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by pauly383, Aug 8, 2004.

1. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I have run windows XP flawlessly for a little less than its existed . Recently I started getting stop errors , just like " Blue Screen of Death " . So I start the troubleshooting since it seems to point to hardware , just different message each time .

NTFS is supposedly stable so I try one thing at a time and all my hardware doesn't make a difference . I try to reformat and reinstall , since I have a recent full backup on DVD . That doesn't work , it only takes win98 , any recent OS like 2000 or xp hangs.

I call my Dad , feel like my butts kicked , we call KWBA TV's IT guy and Dads friend , he says try new memory . OUCH thats another 100 bucks on the credit card . I never thought about that , I just got the 512 MB stick on Easter weekend when I changed from 1.2 gig duron and pc133 to amd 2500 xp and got a better board too with DDR .

It worked , I am typing this on a kick butt windows Xp machine . So now I dig up my receipt and take the other stick back to Fry's where I bought it /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

Just thought I'd share what I did all weekend . On top of this on mine , I did make a nice used computer for another member ( I have parts to do 3 or 4 regular pre-DDR pc's ) , just need to add an OS so he can surf CK5 at home /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I have a similar problem with my Dell Laptop. It's old- P2, 400MHZ and currently running XP Pro. I have twos ticks of 128MB of PC100 and the board won't read one stick. The pins the sticks slip into must not be connecting on all of the terminals and therefore doesn't read it. Oh well, works OK for what I do.

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

You need to run Memtest. You can burn a botoable CD and tets for register errors.

On a side note, you paid $100 for 512M of DDR???

newegg.com my friend.

Or, I have a Mushkin 512M pc2700 DDr333 for sale.

4. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]
    On a side note, you paid $100 for 512M of DDR???

[/ QUOTE ]

Well after I mail in the rebate form its 74.99 . When I finally let my ego call for backup , all that was open was Best Buy , but at least its DDR400 , which my board will accept . And for that matter , the bad stick was 79.99 at Fry's when I got that . Surfing CK5 is important , couldn't wait for a deal to be sent UPS /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

[ QUOTE ]
    I have run windows XP flawlessly for a little less than its existed . Recently I started getting stop errors , just like " Blue Screen of Death " . So I start the troubleshooting since it seems to point to hardware , just different message each time .

NTFS is supposedly stable so I try one thing at a time and all my hardware doesn't make a difference . I try to reformat and reinstall , since I have a recent full backup on DVD . That doesn't work , it only takes win98 , any recent OS like 2000 or xp hangs.

I call my Dad , feel like my butts kicked , we call KWBA TV's IT guy and Dads friend , he says try new memory . OUCH thats another 100 bucks on the credit card . I never thought about that , I just got the 512 MB stick on Easter weekend when I changed from 1.2 gig duron and pc133 to amd 2500 xp and got a better board too with DDR .

It worked , I am typing this on a kick butt windows Xp machine . So now I dig up my receipt and take the other stick back to Fry's where I bought it /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

Just thought I'd share what I did all weekend . On top of this on mine , I did make a nice used computer for another member ( I have parts to do 3 or 4 regular pre-DDR pc's ) , just need to add an OS so he can surf CK5 at home /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know what a os is, but I have a computer that is pretty nice just sitting in my storage you can pick apart to build davids for him..

I know by the time I ever touch it it will be 10 years out of date..

has a big memory and other stuff..I just type on these, one day I will open my eyes /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]
    dont know what a os is

[/ QUOTE ]

Operating System , I.E "Windows" . Should be running 2000 tonight

7. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

Paul, that is great what you are doing for david! Kid really need a computer as bad as I need spell check /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif