Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I just heard a very disturbing rumor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 73k5blazer, Jul 2, 2005.

1. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

It's faily substantiated, two fairly reliable sources, but it looks as though there will be no manual transmissions at all available for GM's new pickups/SUVs in 2007 (GMT900 program). That, is truly marketing idiots at thier worst. The worst part about is the people were almost laughing billing it up as a revenue enhancer saying that all the people who buy manuals now will have to spring the extra $$ for the auto. That just shows thier stupidity, I think those people will go to ford or dodge. I really hope this is wrong, or will change, but somehow, I think it is true. Sad, sad, sad......

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

my buddys are ford fans and were looking at some info for the new ford and said that they already dont offer manuals anymore.

3. google

google 1/2 ton status

With cars, I like manual if I plan on using it to race, but for the most part, I like my auto tranny. With wheeling, I like auto just fine. I actually prefer (sp) auto with wheeling. When I had a manual, it just gave me an extra thing to worry about while wheeling. Hmm.... I'm looking forward to seeing why the people here enjoy manual tranny for wheeling....

4. 73k5blazer

Don't know what he was looking at, dealers will tell that to you all the time because they want to push the crap on thier lots, but just went to fordvehicles.com and superduty f250 still has manuals available. 5speed auto is standard, but the 6sp manual is a a no-cost option.

5. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

humm might have been just the 150's then, he had a brocher from the dealer that listed all options.

is chevy not going to have stick with anything?

not even the diesels, and one tons?

6. 73k5blazer

not available at all on any full size light duty truck, 1/2, 3/4, 1 ton. None, 0, zip.

7. 73k5blazer

F150 5sp manual is standard. According to fordvehciles.com just now.

8. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

OH!! ok well never mind

9. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Why would you want a duramax without the Allison? It's an incredible transmission that is as close to a manual as your going to get.

If they slap allisons behind all their motors- they would be a good move, but if its just a "regular run of the mill" auto they're puttin in- well I'd go 8.1 or Dmax to get the allison- ahhhhhh theres the money maker for GM I can see it now.

Brandy

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

im not a new car guru, cause they pretty much all suck... but from the 4x4 reviews I read in primedia rags, it seems like the manual is usually the "option" (and therefore costing extra $$$$)... the auto standard. I dunno, maybe I'm missing something. Personally, I feel that its pretty clear that GM doesn't give a flying rip about the "hardcore" crowd... with solid axles gone and seemingly never coming back, why not go one more step and get rid of manuals? Next thing ya no, you won't be able to by non-heated, 16-way adjustable power seats. :surepal: :screwy:

j

11. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Yep the General is making me mad too.... No Camaro/F-Bird, IFS crap, no D-Max in the 'Burb, the cheaped out ugly ass GTO, reacting to the market rather than trying to be a leader....

Totally missing out on the trend of the retro vehicles, with styling from the past....

How long did it take them to come up with a real diesel engine after getting spanked by the P-Stroke and Cummins?

Dropping the Impala SS, weenie motors in the Monte SS....

And how about the UGLY trucks and the UGLY Colorado, without a 4 cyl. diesel????

I dislike Furds, but at least they are trying to please AMERICAN CAR BUYERS....

12. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

hey atleast the 06 Monte Carlo will have the 5.3L V8 option.

and i just checked, according to chevy.com, you can get the 6 speed manual with the duramax and the v8s.

13. 73k5blazer

You can still get the manuals in chevy trucks today. It's the "new" ones coming out in 2007 that won't have manuals available.
    Why wouldn't I want an allison. The question should be, why would I want an allision. Umm..well, from things I've read they've been plauged with problems from the get-go, with a boatload of the early ones flat out blowing up from the inside out, probably better now. Mainly it's price. without looking, I think it was a $2300 (a $1200 option, but then if you pick the 6sp you get -$1100, so effectivly $2300 to have the allison) option. That's way too much for what it is. Plus, I just can't stand automatics. They are never in the right gear for what your doing, they are still unreliable at high mileage. They are expensive to fix and replace, a clutch job costs me $500 installed, or $250 if I doit my self which I usally do. It takes a garage full of special tools and many hours of special training to build an automatic, and if you take it somewhere, watch out, for that trans in that truck, your looking at $2500 minimum. My SM465 in my '73 had 289,000mi when I tore that truck down for frame off. All it needed was a new input bearing and I replcaed the shift fork because it was cheap and it looked a little worn. New seals, and good as new. $100 in parts. My NV2500 in my '97 6.5TD has 170k mi, do I worry about it, nope, just don't hear the stories of them breaking. Autos are always hunting around if your not at the programmers speed and engine rpm points, you can't get the thing to do what you want. I just hate it. Just my opinion of course, but I think auto's blow chuncks. Every one I've ever had has been the cause of scraping the vehicle it was in. Th350 in my '78 k5 decided it was going to shift into first at highway speed one time, blew my motor (and trans). My wifes old' '94 dodge spirit trans blew up three times (the last time so bad, it's parts blew a hole in the side of the engine block) (that was the infamous dcx a604 or 41te trans), my '79 sunbirds trans blew up and cost more to fix than the car was worth. Plus I just can't stand driving them, it's annoying. Ok, so I think you all get the point, I hate autos. Not to bash those that like them, if you like them great get 'em. It's for you. I just think the automakers should offer the choice. And no manuals definatly means no new GM trucks for me after 2007.

14. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Well, the X has one of those "blown up" allisons. When in reality what it was/is is an injector issue they fixed with a redesign in the '02 and later models. Too boot- the General increased the Allisons warranty and actually covered this repair on our Dmax, TWICE no less. The 1st set or replacements had a bad injector- and the next day the truck was back at the dealer- getting 8 more AGAIN..)

You must not have ever driven a truck with the Allison. The X tows with his, trailers full of quads, or large John Deere's, even a car hauler occasionally. It NEVER searches for the correct gear. It knows where to be and when. Downshifts going down hill, to save on the brakes, upshifts when it should etc.

I agree, the older auto's do hunt. We rebuilt the auto in our 89 3/4 ton twice. Again, my opinion is you ought to drive the a truck with the allison in it, you'd be amazed how far an auto has come.

I agree! But I also had a hell of a lot of fun driving that DMAX/ALLI combo....

Brandy

15. 73k5blazer

I have driven them many times. They are way better then older transmissions, for sure. It still's hunting for me. Seems to shift way too much. I think the allision is a good transmission now. But I like towing with my nv4500 just as much. Can't beat the granny low for pulling that 30' boat up the ramp! I just don't think I'd want to pay the bill when the allision breaks at 150kmi. Alot of people don't keep vehicles that long and thats fine, but that also contributes to the problem because alot of those people who buy new trucks every couple year know they are going to get a new one soon and tend to beat thier current vehicle. I tend to keep vehicles until they die. But i digress. Some people love autos and that's great. I love a good old fashion clutch and shifter. Simple, cheap, strong, reliable.

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Thus why if I were to buy a tow vehicle I'd either put together a Chevy with an NV4500 and a cummins or buy a Dodge :mad:

The manual they have in the Duramax rigs now is stupid IMO. It comes with something like 80 less ft-lbs of torque. THe only reason I can come up with is, they kill them with anything more. I mean, it can't be a clutch, Dodge's high torque motors ONLY come with manuals.

17. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

This from one of the us automakers that a few years back complained about average fuel economy and emissions regulations hurting their business. Why not force everyone that buys your products to go with something that gets less mileage? Makes sense to me. :rolleyes:

18. 73k5blazer

The reason I was given for that is they can't control the manual transmission the way they can an auto. Some powertrain people told it was a saftey issue, nothing more. They didn't want the manual guy to be able to spin the tires as easily. The duramaxes I drove with allisons, and over 500ftlbs torque, couldn't break the tires loose from the line. Talk about torque control.

19. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

That's the whole point of the Allison 1000 - it's gear spacing is designed around the DMax's TQ curve, so the tranny will keep the engine in it's sweet spot under load.

But hey... like you said, some like autos, some like to row for themselves. Nothing wrong with that!

20. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Also I'm sure the fact that having two transmissions available (at least) doubles the amount of EPA drivetrain certifications the manufacturer has to deal with. Saves GM money while once again not giving the consumer what they want.

Drive the Police Departments away by dumping the dominant police vehicle (the RWD Caprice) and now dump all the die hard manual transmission Chev lovers. Of course, there aren't that many manual trans buyers anymore, but you can probably write off a few more, at least for GM.

GM never ceases to surprise me on how little they care about garnering/keeping a loyal following anymore. Apparently the GTO is supposed to take the place of the Camaro? Yeah, the GTO and the Mustang are real similar. :rolleyes: