Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I just ran out of gas 100 yards from a gas station

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by thezentree, Sep 11, 2006.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

And apparently $2 worth of fuel is not enough to get the truck started again.

2. BoondocK5

BoondocK5 1 ton status Author

Evidently you were'nt going fast enough to coast in?

3. 68MUDSTUD

68MUDSTUD OCD with shiny things

there wazs probly n intersection before the station huh?

4. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ive ran out nearly a mile away from the station, it was on a real long straight stretch that was slightly down hill, enough momentum and enough of a grade to slowly roll in.:D
    Ive also ran out going up a real steep hill with guard rails on the side. I had a 5 gallon jug in the bed but I still had to stop in the middle of the road and fill it up. got a manual too and brakes with no vaccum are not enough to keep it from rolling long enough get it started so I put the tranny in reverse and let it roll till it started. thankfully there were no other cars the whole time.

5. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

I had that happen once about the same distance one morning on my way to work in the rain. Got out and jogged next to the car to keep it going all that way. Lost momentum 10 foot from the pump on a slight incline and couldn't get it going again. Had to put a gallon in with a can so I could drive up to the pump. At least I didn't have to walk far. :haha:

6. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

My Harley has a reserve like all/most motorcycles. I've had it since I bought it new in 1983.
    Never have ran out'a fuel but once, just got busy running errands and stuff and forgot it was on reserve. Well I tilted it to the left side as I road it, because I saw a Gas Station maybe 100 yards up the level road. It died as I pulled up to the pumps. Kool................

Well, the station had recently be sold and the new owner wasn't going to sell gas any more so, though it looked like an operating Gas Station, they no longer sold gas!!! :mad:
    I ended up walking about two miles to a "real" Gas Station and buying a gas can, to carry one gallon of gas back to the motorcycle...........:rolleyes:

7. big dan

when I worked at a gas station some people came in and needed to buy a jug and when they found out it was $3 they bought a $4 gallon of milk and dumped it in the parking lot. later on my gas gauge quit working and I started carrying a jug with gas incase I run out, since then I have loaned it to 5 different people. Im such a nice guy.:D so far they have all returned it and even put some gas back in it for me even though I told them they didnt have to. Im sure though that one of these days Ill meet someone with no morals and by by gas jug with $20 worth of gas in it.:(

8. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

the most recent time, there have been a few, I was waiting at the pumps for an open one when the truck started shuddering. I shut it off thinking I would have enough to restart it and pull forward the rest of the way. when the person in front of me pulled out it restarted, but as soon as I put it in drive it died. At least I didn't have to push it far.:D

9. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

A buddy of mine and me flew to Texarkana to take a look at a HUGE tire auction at the Army base there. We flew into Shreveport and drove up from there. After we looked at the auction we had time to burn before our flight so did a bunch a GeoCaching. As we are getting back the airport we make a couple laps around the airport and are about to go drop off the car when I realize that we are EMPTY... And I didn't know how long we had been empty. So we frantically look for a gas station. There is one to the left and up a cross street. I come rolling up to the left turn and the car shudders. I nail it through a red light, fly around the corner and such up every last molecule of gas to get up any speed. About 2 blocks from the station, on an uphill we realize it ain't gonna run no more. So at about 10MPH my buddy jumps out and start sprinting along side the car to keep up momentum. As the car slow I jump out and push and steer. Ever last ounce of energy got us over the hump into the driveway and up to a pump. We both fell on the ground panting and puffing for like 10 minutes. And then we just laughed our asses off. We musta looked like idiots, but man we had fun being fools.

10. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Yup, needed to make a left at a red light at a busy intersection. There was no way in hell I was gonna make it.

Oh well, it got me out of going to calculus.

11. 68MUDSTUD

68MUDSTUD OCD with shiny things

12. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

If the jug cost $3.00, what is the reasoning for purchasing a $4.00 a gallon milk container to use?:dunno:

13. big dan

thats the funny part, those dumb a**es didnt realize that it cost a dollar more for the milk.

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

coulda at least drank the milk!..

I often go way too far on 5 bucks worth in my 79 C10--I went 27 miles on 1.7 gallons,plus the pint or two left in the tank the other day!..:eek1:

I was shi**** a brick all the way home,especially when I had to wait for red lights on an incline!--I though sure I'd run out,since all the gas ran to one end of the tank--but somehow I made it home..if I had more than 5 bucks,believe me,in the tank it would have gone!..but I was broke as usual...

I have had to use the hand choke to keep my truck running a few more seconds, to make it to the gas station more than once too!..I found I can get another 1/4 to 1/2 a mile or more by closing the choke!..back when gas was a dollar fifty a gallon,I never had this problem..5 bucks worth would get you 50 miles no sweat..:( :mad: