Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I just spent the last 2 hours trying to figure out how to make capsaicin extract....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PhoenixZorn, Nov 10, 2005.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

I'm a sick puppy.... I've got the "Chili bug" which basically means I'm trying to find hotter and hotter foods wherever I can. Well, as you all know I have a strange love for insane hot sauces, most of which contain an amount of pure capsaicin extract. Well, in my search for a way to get capsaicin out of the tons of peppers we grew in the garden this year, I found a most interesting website. The Nook has an amazing device available that does exactly what I want... and then some. I spent the last hour reading about herb oil extraction, and while I don't smoke the stuff anymore, I have lots of friends who do, and they would love to get a better high in less hits.

Anyway, you can all go there and check it out yourself if you are so inclined.... The device this guy made is called the X-Phase, which is basically a 6 inch long copper or brass tube with valved ends that holds some amount of vegetable matter (peppers) which is injected with butane, drained, and allowed to evaporate. This essentially removes the oil from the pepper, which can be bottled and added to food for a little extra kick. Oil from other "herbs" can be used in cooking or you know.... smoking... My goal is to find a way to make a larger scale version of the X-Phase contraption so I can do a large amount of peppers all at once. Otherwise, I'd be able to put like 5 peppers in the tube at a time, and I don't have enough time to do that.

The end goal is to be able to bottle and sell Pure Capsaicin extract, but not for nearly as much as Blair's 6AM Reserve... That would be stupid.... ya know... after my research, I know why the guy sells the stuff for $250 bucks for 1mL, and I don't blame him. I'm just thinking this X-Phase thing will be a much safer way to handle the extract than in a powder form, which is how Blair gets his in the first place.

If anyone knows of another way to extract capsaicin oil from hot peppers, I'm open to suggestions... I already thought of just building a still, throwing in a few pounds of peppers with the alcohol, and evaporating off the remaining alcohol and water, which SHOULD leave just capsaicin since alcohol is a good solvent for it.